Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water Use

Options
fxrgrunt
fxrgrunt Member Posts: 157
On average, how much water loss do you guys get? I believe my auto feed did 4 gallons last winter. I'm sure the answer is less is best but just wondering what is the high end on properly running boilers for my own knowledge. Thanks.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    How big is a box? It depends some on the size of the system. 4 gallons on a big system -- like Cedric -- isn't a problem. On a little system, it might be.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • fxrgrunt
    Options
    How big is a box? It depends some on the size of the system. 4 gallons on a big system -- like Cedric -- isn't a problem. On a little system, it might be.
    Great point and I apologize for leaving that out. Attached is the boiler model.

• Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,543
    Options
    fxrgrunt said:

On average, how much water loss do you guys get? I believe my auto feed did 4 gallons last winter. I'm sure the answer is less is best but just wondering what is the high end on properly running boilers for my own knowledge. Thanks.

This is a small system and IMO you should investigate for a leak..
    Installing a Feeder or a metering devise is advisable.
  • fxrgrunt
    Options

fxrgrunt said:

I do currently have a feeder with a meter and that is how I was able to tell. I did not see any leaks anywhere. My wet return isn't buried as it looks to have been dug up and replaced with copper 7 years ago when they installed the boiler. I was getting some wet steam and surging last year and I wonder if that is where the water is going. Seems like a lot but I guess it could happen.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    It's not a lot. It could be less. The most likely losses are around valve stems -- where you'd likely not see it at all -- or a vent which doesn't quite close. You'd likely not see that, either.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    fxrgrunt
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,543
    Options
    fxrgrunt said:

fxrgrunt said:

I do currently have a feeder with a meter and that is how I was able to tell. I did not see any leaks anywhere. My wet return isn't buried as it looks to have been dug up and replaced with copper 7 years ago when they installed the boiler. I was getting some wet steam and surging last year and I wonder if that is where the water is going. Seems like a lot but I guess it could happen.
    Oh this is Steam system with a Wet return.. In that case 4 gallons is not that bad.
    fxrgrunt
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    Options
    In a one pipe steam system in a one family home where the system is tight 1/2 a gallon per month is the low end. The same goes for a 2 pipe a steam system. In multiple dwellings the number goes two 1/2 gallon per month per apartment.

As systems get older and vent valves start to bad and packing glands on radiator valves begin to leak the water usage goes up.

If you see water usage go above 5 gallons per month it is time to do maintenance on the system.

One item to remember is where you live. In very cold climates where the systems operate these numbers need to be increased to 1 to two gallons per month.

Excessive water usage indicates the need for repairs. These repairs can be leakage in underground return lines, leakage in steam pipes, vent valves and packing glands on all valves including radiator shut off valves which is common on older systems.

If you use only 4 gallons per heating system your system is operating better than most new systems,

Jake
    fxrgrunt