Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Change-Out

Dan Foley
Dan Foley Member Posts: 1,258
Slavko, Dragon, JJ and crew replaced the steam boiler in a 1920’s 16-unit apartment building in DC.  The Peerless 211 replaced a 30 year old W-M LGB tied to a one-pipe system.  A tekmar 279 operates the boiler.  

The client was a joy to work with and got along great with my crew.  It took four days but would have finished easily a day earlier if we could source the fittings in a timely fashion. Materials are harder than ever to track down. 

mattmia2delcrossvPC7060NYtimebombIntplm.Erin Holohan HaskellEzzyTIronmanJohnNY

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Nice. Looks like a lot of pipe for a small boiler!!!
  • The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,215
    That was my thought too when I just looked at the picture, Ed. But then I saw its a Peerless 211... the smallest model ( which it looks like this is) is 630,00 input. Needs big piping, though probably not 2x4 inch risers (Is that what there are?) , but a drop header was probably the only way to get proper height risers out of the boiler. I see boiler after boiler installed with risers that are too short, and I heard the excuse" there's not enough room to get taller risers" out of mouths of Chicago Steam boiler "experts" that have been installing like this for decades ( along with things like all welded near boiler piping).
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Not a big fan of drop headers but this is a perfect example of a job that really needs one. Time and a place for everything
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    That should save your client some money and with natural gas prices going up he should be a happy guy.
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    Outstanding and perfectly thought out installation.

I do not often care for drop head installations but in this case i kinda agree with the installing contractor.

Jake
  • delcrossv
    delcrossv Member Posts: 740
    edited October 2021
    Just pulled up the specs on that tekmar. Sweet!

How much of an efficiency boost does that provide over a regular non-programmable stat?
    Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.