Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco Pump Number

Unfortunately the Burnham boiler bypass kit part number 107795-01 is on back order for a while. Does any one know which Taco variable speed pump is included in the kit in order to make my own boiler bypass? It is shown on page 48 of the X-2 I&O manual.

Thanks,
Noel

Comments

• jad3675
    jad3675 Member Posts: 127
    Since it has a temp sensor, it looks like it could be a 007-VDTF5.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Call US Boiler and ask them
    steve
  • NoelAnderson
    NoelAnderson Member Posts: 49
    I was looking at the 007-VDTF5, but it operates on delta-t and not minimum return temp for boiler protection. I wonder if the Burnham circulator is made by Taco just for them. The main reason I selected the Burnham boiler was for the ease of installing this manifold for protecting the boiler without mixing valves or the space I needed for primary/secondary plumbing. The system I will be installing this on is 1-1/4 copper with monoflo tees and cast iron radiators.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    @NoelAnderson

It does come with a sensor for return water protection. Dimensions of the pump are likely the same as all the other pumps.

I would call Taco or Burnham to get that answered.

I would pipe you own manifold just put a union where the pump will go (or just two unions dry fitted) so you can get you apart when the pump shows up
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • mjstraw
    mjstraw Member Posts: 41
    Product data sheet for one of the Burnham boilers (XPV?) says:

System bypass kit w/Taco 007e
    – P/N: 107795-01

Mark
    Indiana PA

• Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 550

There are a couple of solutions to your situation;

1. You can do as others said, pipe in a “blank” circ now and when it comes in, install. What I mean by blank is to take a piece of pipe the length of a circ, attach to the flanges and shut off the valve(s) on that loop.

2. You can use the VT2218 Delta T circulator. However, you will not use it in the Delta T mode (which is the default mode) but rather use it in the Boiler Protection mode.

There are several ways to wire in this circulator;

1. Wire it to the system circulator so that whenever there is a call for heat, this circ will run also
    2. Use a SR-EXP controller and wire it to the Primary Terminal

I hope this helps,

Enjoy

Dave H
  • NoelAnderson
    Thanks to all who helped. I just received confirmation that my bypass kit will be here today, a month and a half early. It is pretty bad with how long lead times are taking in order to get parts.
  • mjstraw
    Let us know what pump comes with the kit.
    Mark
    Indiana PA

• NoelAnderson
    The pump that came in the kit is a Taco 007-HVSF5-4IFC. The best match I could find on the internet was the 007-HVSF5 on supplyhouse.com which cost a lot more money than the Burnham boiler bypass kit part number 107795-01. I know the IFC in the 007-HVSF5-4IFC part number means internal flow check, but I don't know what the -4 means.
  • mjstraw
    Does -4 mean 4-lobe flange?
    Mark
    Indiana PA

• EricPeterson
    EricPeterson Member Posts: 211

Unfortunately the Burnham boiler bypass kit part number 107795-01 is on back order for a while. Does any one know which Taco variable speed pump is included in the kit in order to make my own boiler bypass? It is shown on page 48 of the X-2 I&O manual.

Thanks,
    Noel

@NoelAnderson - how did the install of this bypass work out for you?
    In a parallel discussion this kit came up and there were some question of how it gets piped in along with the system circulator.

So do you have a piping diagram that you wouldn't mind sharing?

I would like to know your experience since I want to put in better low temp protection for my own boiler after the heating season.

If I understand the intent of this bypass system, it is rigged to direct heated water back to the return when the return temperature is sufficiently low. So the Taco would base its speed on the temp of the water on the inlet to the boiler. So the water from the main circulator would be grabbed by the Taco when needed based on the return temperature at the boiler.
    One question then would be does the system circulator still push water through the Taco when the return temperature is sufficiently warm, and thus "starve" the system from heated water? Has that been an issue for you?

Thanks,
    Eric Peterson
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,425
    Other options: Taco I-series setpoint 2-way mixing valve with sensor-A Caleffi boiler bypass valve 280.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,019
    If I understand the intent of this bypass system, it is rigged to direct heated water back to the return when the return temperature is sufficiently low. So the Taco would base its speed on the temp of the water on the inlet to the boiler. So the water from the main circulator would be grabbed by the Taco when needed based on the return temperature at the boiler.

What speed would you imagine the VS pump would need to run to raise cold water returning from the system, call it 70F with cold water, call it 90F, in the boiler to get to 130F to adequately protect the boiler?? There is no fuzzy math that blends 70F water with 90F water to get to 130F.

The correct way to use a delta T circ to protect a boiler is here.

The key is you need to completely, thermally disconnect the load from the boiler. Use the delta T circ to build and injection mixing piping. And hydraulic separation. zone pump and boiler pump size to their respective loads.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    SuperTech
  • EricPeterson
    EricPeterson Member Posts: 211
    @hot_rod Of course there is no fuzzy math to support that notion.
    For the original diagram in this discussion, if a system circulator was added it would look something like this:

Looking at this though I have no idea how the water flow would work. Certainly (I think?) some of the heated water would be circulated back to the inlet.
    How much though, and would it be enough to address condensation issues?

If the system circulator was replaced with a variable speed, it would seem there could be some logic board that could modulate between the two pumps and achieve the desired input temperature. Maybe it would work if the bypass circulator was not variable speed.

The system in your diagram with the three pumps and two sensors is great. I was just wondering if a simpler solution with fewer components would be viable. So that is why I am being a pest with all these questions.
    @hot_rod how would you compare the three pump / two sensor setup above with an setup that used a thermostatic mixing valve and two pumps?

Thanks,
    Eric

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,019
    A bypass valve, or a bypass pump have no temperature input. So it will work at one specific condition only.
    Adding a variable speed function doesn't change the bypass. If the boiler is slow to catch up with the load, how does a delta T circulator allow the boiler to raise its temperature output?
    No if you turned off the system pump and allowed the bypass pump to run, you have a better chance. But may as well skip the bypass pump, connect a setpoint control to the boiler pump. Bang it off and on.

You need to disconnect the loads somehow, allow the boiler to protect itself, and allow any extra output to go to the system.

The 3 way valve becomes a thermal clutch, slipping enough to the boiler, allowing a % to go to the system.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream