Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What's Inside?

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 636
edited September 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
imageWhat's Inside?

This is always a great question to ask when you’re troubleshooting. You won't believe the things we've found inside heating systems that cause all sorts of mechanical mayhem.

Read the full story here

Comments

• donaldmc
    donaldmc Member Posts: 35
    Options
    Animals in the works!
    I've had squirrels clogging flues, raccoons in chimneys, bats in the boiler and, worse then the rest, a nest of bold-faced hornets in the flue cap on a boiler that was off all summer!
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,525
    Options
    Yikes!
    Retired and loving it.
  • Waterwright
    Waterwright Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Outstanding heating stories, especially strategically placing that riser support to allow for proper expansion.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,525
    Options
    Thanks!
    Retired and loving it.
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    I have had this happen twice now, so the second time troubleshooting it was easier. I shut the valves off to a Rinnai water heater to fix a leaking pipe, and when I turned them back on, I could not get flow out of the hot water line. I thought I might have got some debris in the filter, so i took it off and made sure it was clean. It was starting to get to me, until I remembered the last time I had an issue like this. I realized I was getting flow into the heater , but not out, so I took the outlet valve apart and found that although the valve turns, and has resistance, it would not move the ball inside. The dang shaft sheared off inside! I just bypassed the valve, and it is working fine now. Now I just have to get back over there with a replacement valve.
    Rick
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Years ago I was installing my own lav faucet in the master bath.
    It was a fairly high end, all brass, center set, 8" spacings with levers.

To confirm in/out and left/right etc, I would blow thru the inlet open the valve to determine passages. One was fine the other would not pass air.
    The port was never drilled at the factory.

Called the company and the lady assured me that all products were tested for leaks at the factory. I had to explain that it would never leak and also never pass water.

They did send a new one out at no charge.

Glad I never installed it to find out it was not drilled thru.
    delcrossv