Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Above subfloor pex routed in 3/4" plywood

WillC
WillC Member Posts: 23
edited August 2021 in Radiant Heating
Hi,

When your subfloor is already 3/4" of plywood and you want to use another layer of 3/4" of plywood and route the tubing, what's the best way to attach this plywood without being an headache when it is time to use the router? Would you glue it too?

The first layer of plywood is tongue and grove, is it safe to go with some regular plywood for the second layer?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Is the second (top) layer the finished floor? If not, what is?
    steve
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,524
    Check out the Viega Climate Panel..
  • joeinmo
    joeinmo Member Posts: 22
    I used 1 1/2" screws to attach my 8" strips of 3/4" plywood to a 3/4" plywood subfloor. I spaced the 8" strips 3/4" apart to lay down pex. Using a router seems too labor intensive instead of just ripping the plywood in 8" strips and screwing them down using a spacer block as you go.
    mattmia2
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,524
    joeinmo said:

I used 1 1/2" screws to attach my 8" strips of 3/4" plywood to a 3/4" plywood subfloor. I spaced the 8" strips 3/4" apart to lay down pex. Using a router seems too labor intensive instead of just ripping the plywood in 8" strips and screwing them down using a spacer block as you go.

May i ask why 3/4" Plywood and Tubing was used ?
    Does the Install have a 16" tubing spacing ?
    Or does it have 8" Tubing spacing which is very hard to accieve with 3/4"
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,889

joeinmo said:

May i ask why 3/4" Plywood and Tubing was used ?
    Does the Install have a 16" tubing spacing ?
    Or does it have 8" Tubing spacing which is very hard to accieve with 3/4"
    He never said 3/4" tube, he said 3/4" between the sleepers- which is perfect for 1/2" tube- which is perfect for 8" spacing.