Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

B&G 107019, 1-1/4, flo valve

Options
BigMak
BigMak Member Posts: 44
I have a B&G 107019, 1-1/4, flo valve that makes the clunking noise when system call for heat is turned on. I am considering on replacing, I started to drain for job. halfway through draining, i got the clunking sound, i'm thinking the water was flowing backwards, creating clunking sound. judging by this, water direction, it make noise both directions, I'm thinking the valve is no good. also, the lever is rusted shut, can't turn. and can open bottom to clean either.

the reason for this is one of these loops tend to fill with air constantly. I bleed multiple times per season.

there doesn't appear to be any air separator in the system either.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    Options
    What type of expansion tank do you have? Compression or a bladder tank?
    mattmia2
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    The valve is possibly still fine. It will rattle when filling. But if you have it drained, it may be possible to take it apart and clean it, but if it were me, I'd cut the copper on downstream on both sides of your gate valves, then you can unscrew the checks, replace both checks, put in 2 ball valves, and anything else that may help you for future purging.
    However, more to @EBEBRATT-Ed 's point, your near boiler piping may be suspect. If you don't have an air separator, I'd suspect a steel compression tank, and probably column radiators.
    Have any pics of the boiler and the near boiler piping?
    steve
  • BigMak
    BigMak Member Posts: 44
    Options
    Steve, I tried opening the plug on the bottom. it feel rusted shut. Its probably 20-40 years old. I have more info on this system from a previous post. https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/180778/american-radiator-company-ideal-no-7-boiler#latest

as for the the radiators, they are baseboard. as for the compression tank its a gravity tank, 10-15 gals, no bladder. i'll send a pic later, if necessary.

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    . Larger pipe sizes you install a flow valves one size smaller to insure the weight of the flow valve is held up tight
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • Jason_13
    Jason_13 Member Posts: 304
    Options
    Sometimes it is just air trapped in the upper part of the flow valve especially if pump on return and not good air elimination. I have loosened the packing nut and bled them and the problem went away.