Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dented expansion tank

Jersey2
Jersey2 Member Posts: 166
I just received a new expansion tank and it has a dent in it. I prefer to have one that is not dented so I left mail to the seller, but have not heard back yet. The seller also notes that returns are not accepted because the tank has dangerous gas inside. Do you guys think this tank with the dent is okay to install, or do you think the dent will accelerate rust from inside out? (picture) The connector is also rusty.

I'm not a plumber or hvac man and my thoughts in comments are purely for conversation.

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    I was going to advise it’s a non issue until the dangerous gas comment. 
    Advise the seller your shipping it back as hazardous material COD due to this alleged dangerous gas. 
    JakeCK
  • Jersey2
    haha about the COD. I just checked my email, and they said the dent shouldn't be an issue, but they are giving me a choice of reshipment that they filed a damage claim with the carrier. I asked for the reshipment. To me it is strange about not allowing returns of expansion tanks, but from the email I think they are a great store to do business with. I will update what finally happens.
    I'm not a plumber or hvac man and my thoughts in comments are purely for conversation.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,272
    Hi @Jersey2 , I'd contact Amtrol and ask about the "dangerous gas". I imagine it's just dry air, but it would be nice to know if if something else is used. Maybe you'll be educating your seller... and us. ;)

Yours, Larry
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Was the shipping box damaged at all?
    And was the box a repack, opened and resealed?
    It doesn't take much to dent them.

This really shows that Amazon sells things that they know absolutely nothing about. Someone looked at a picture of the tank and probably assumed it was "Freon".
    And if you can't ship it back because of hazardous gases, how did they ship it to you in the first place?

It was pre-charged to 12 PSI with air....or for longevity and stability, possibly dry nitrogen.

Also you could have paid less at Supply House.com.....with probably better customer service.

So much of the population is pulled into the theory that Amazon has the "cheapest" price possible......the same thing happens at an auction, everything is a good deal.
    JakeCK
  • Jersey2
    I'm sure it's air they charge it with, because if an owner had to increase the pressure they would use air. I suppose it is possible they use some other gas to increase the life of the bladder. But from reviews they only last 8 years or so. I won't contact Amtrol because i'm 99.99% sure it is air. I can light a match and let some of the gas out and see what happens :-) kidding
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    Is Canadian air Hazardous? 
    JakeCK
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Only in California! ;)
    pecmsg
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,689
    but, but, but, but they shipped the dangerous gas to you (?)
    known to beat dead horses
    JUGHNE
  • Jersey2
    JUGHNE the box wasn't damaged and it was sealed. But it was shipped in the flimsy factory box, not in a double box that could have had padding put in it. I saw Supply House too late, with shipping they were still a little less money. I will use them from now on. The seller is an Amazon partner, so at least Amazon interacts as a big brother. And yes Amazon is not always the cheapest.
  • JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 1,356
    supplyhouse offers free shipping on orders over 100$, just saying.