Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pressure gauge to pump connection

rgar98
rgar98 Member Posts: 59
Anyone know which adapter is needed to connect Yellow Jacket gauge (1/4" flare) to nozzle port of Cleancut pump (10322)? There is a flare fitting on pump for nozzle line which is 3/16". Or suggest best way to make pressure measurement.
Thanks.
Richard

Comments

• Ctoilman
    Ctoilman Member Posts: 105
    I made my own gauge setup, just use a 3/16" flare x 1/4 NPT fitting and install a 200 psi gauge in it.  NAPA should have the fitting, or any parts house.
  • rgar98
    Thanks. I'm sorry, but is this to connect the gauge directly to the nozzle line fitting on the pump? Please tell me exactly what the connections are.
    The gauge hose is a flare and the pump has a flare to fit nozzle. Sorry, but I'm confused about the dimensions.

Is a flare fitting on a 3/16" line called a "3/16 flare or is it named by the size of the "nut" on the line?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    @rgar98

Usually we test the oil pressure at the bleed port on the pump. Remove the fitting in the pump and install a 1/4" flare X 1/8" male pipe thread adapter.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    A flare nut is sized by the tubing it connects—the thread pitch etc. are standard per size (& system, i.e. SAE vs metric) & are rarely mentioned. If it is indeed 3/16, google "3/16 flare to 1/4 flare", or build something from parts at a Big Box store. Around here, it's common to open a package for a test fit (& then put it back & get an unopened one, grrrrrr).
  • rgar98
    @ ratio
    So you're the guy who's been doing that at my Home Depot. /S
    Thanks for the comment.

@EBEBRATT-Ed
    Thanks, I wasn't sure that the bleed fitting could be removed.
    RG
  • rgar98
    @Ed
    You can read pressure at the nozzle line, too, correct?
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    I have the 3/16 flare to 1/4 female adapter that I hook to a 3/16 nozzle, line that stays in my tool bag, that I use to test all my pumps with. I remove the nozzle line from the fuel pump and hook up this setup at the fuel pump, or the outlet of a fuel solenoid valve if it has one. That way, I know what pressure is going to the nozzle, and when I run the burner until the primary control shuts it down, I can check if it holds and doesn't bleed down. Also, by hooking it up to the fuel line output, I can run the unit without any fuel going anywhere that I don't want it to.
    Rick
    HVACNUT
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    @rgar98

You can check the oil pressure at the nozzle port or the bleed port. We were always taught to use the bleed port as the nozzle port is occupied by the nozzle line.

No difference except the nozzle port cuts off (closes) when the oil pressure drops below 75 psi or so. At least that's what it used to be with 100psi pumps. In the days before clean cut pumps or solenoid valves nozzle cut off and opening pressure was determined by oil pressure
  • rgar98
    @ Rick
    Which gauge do you use?
  • rick in Alaska
    I just use a 200 psi gauge. Nothing special.
    Rick
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    I use these...The manifold set is used between the pump and the nozzle assembly.
    The second one in on the bottom left is used at the end of the nozzle assembly. It's the most accurate for pressure and cut-off. The better question is...do you actually know what you are doing with them.

steve
  • rgar98
    @rick in Alaska

(1)When you test pressure do you run the pump until shut off or until pressure maxes out? If you do, then you reset by holding "in" the "i" button?

Unrelated question: What is the plug on Cleancut at lower left, the one facing left at a 45 degree angle. [NOT the inlet for a two-pipe system.]
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Sounds like your out of your element here @rgar98.
    What’s actually going on here?
    steve
  • rick in Alaska
    The pump pressure comes up immediately, and then I just let it go until the primary control shut down. That way, I can check the primary control timing, pressure, and cutoff pressure.
    Not sure about the plug.
    Rick
  • rgar98
    @STEVEusaPA
    What "element" is that?
  • rgar98
    @rick in Alaska
    Thanks.
    The plug is the bypass port plug.