Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

air to water heat pump

Options
Hey all, anyone come up with a air to water that you really like. Have you installed many, just looking at reliability.
Thanks in advance
Tim

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
    what exactly are you trying to do? 
    Air to water chillers are common. Air to water heat has limitations. 
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,139
    Options
    Not a lot of track record to be found yet, Canadian manufacturers seem to be leading the pack with ccA2WHP offerings. Try Eden Energy or other distributors for some feedback, maybe
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Spacepak has a set up. As w/ all of them now they do have limitations.

https://www.spacepak.com/hydronic-heating-and-cooling
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Sorry all about slow to responding. I have looked at the 3 versions of Spacepak, Nordic, and a few others. Dug through what ever specs I could find. I think the Spacepak Sim unit is the closest I find to fit temp requirements here in NW. I just don’t like being beta tester early on, been there done that. It’s really nice when you can get a mfr to let you be an early tester and provide some support while vetting their equipment. Many years ago I was given a early beta prestige boiler when they were switching from MCBA to trimax control. My boiler had both trimax and mcba displays on it, looked pretty funny. Worked well although.
    Thanks for response all.
    BirchwoodBill
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,139
    Options
    John Siegenthaler has been running a SpacePak Soltice at his office for several winters now. Up above Utica, NY where temperatures fall well below 0 for days and maybe weeks 

Look at Caleffi Idronics 25 and 27 for info on proper applications and best operating conditions. Probably see pics of his systems in those issues😉
    He used another A2whp on his daughters home nearby.
    properly applied they run very efficiently. Check back in 20 years for longevity, maintenance or repair costs.

That hours of occurrence data from ASHRAE and others is the best way to predict how efficiently the HP will operate at your location. Low SWT are the key to best operating efficiencies. That is important to deciding how well it will perform in your application.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Hilex007
    Hilex007 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Currently I have a gas fired forced air unit with DX coil. I hate heating with dry air. It is so uncomfortable and my AC just died. I am removing all the equipment and going with Spacepak SIM 060 ATWHP. 1st floor will have radiant floor heat (above subfloor aluminum plates). 2nd floor radiant walls with large panel rads in master bedroom. For cooling I am going with Spacepak high wall cassettes ( AkA hydronic mini splits) or High Velocity. For domestic I will use Belimo 3-way valve with BPHX connected to Storage tank. This pump will also heat my Pool in the summer. Since I have natural available I am going with tankless for my backup. I am starting this project around May of 2022. I will post some pictures....
    dwatson3
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Hilex007, that is pretty much what I laid out for client below except for the od unit was the Solstice extreme. Been in a year and 1/2. They are pretty happy with except husband thinks a bit loud. I did not install for them just laid the ground work. I have been waiting for a little more mainstream equipment but just not found what I feel great about yet. Still waiting on Mitsubishi to bring their equipment state side. They have said its coming for a couple years.
    Good luck
    Tim