Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hydra boiler not heating

mcusson
mcusson Member Posts: 1
Hi! I have a Hydra boiling system.  Even if the 4 element ligths are on, the water remains cold…

so far, the thermostat looks good since it starts and stops the system as I play with it.

any ideas where i should start looking?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,161
    User manual time. Mind you, I know nothing about that particular boiler -- but I'm going to hazard a guess that there is control board of some kind which takes the thermostat signal and a temperature signal from the boiler and, in turn, energizes contactors which turn the elements on or off as needed. The element lights don't tell yo much, except that the power to the contactors may be OK -- but not the main power circuits.

Oh... before you go completely off into the bushes, make sure that all the fuses or circuit breakers serving the unit are OK or on. And, of course, if not why not. It's not at all uncommon in the US and Canada, at least, for the control power to come from one side of the 120/240 volt connections for such gadgetry, but the elements to requite both.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    Agree with Jamie... Fuses are always a good place to start.

There was a tag line in my Bio, below, (until they shortened the amount of characters you could use) that read: After you replace the expensive control/motor/part, and it does the same thing, what will you check next? ...Check that first.

I would say that to mechanics/technicians that have worked for me over the years. It got to become a broken record to their ears after a while. Sometimes the simple things are overlooked, as the focus is on the expensive part(s) on a malfunctioning system.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    There could be manual reset thermal overloads (like in an electric water heater) on each element circuit. If this was ever dry fired then that is possible that they would have all tripped. Look for small red buttons on thermal discs.....after you are sure there is water in the boiler.
    EdTheHeaterMan