Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

whirlpool dehumidifier is driving me crazy

I have a 20 pint whirlpool dehumidifier. I go to whirlpool parts to find what I may need. No matter which website I go on, none can identify my model number and they can't help me without it. I've never run into this. Can I get some help here.
jenniferlauriat

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    At some risk of sounding like an echo... without the model number, it may be difficult. However, can you describe the part you need, and a photo of it and a photo of the unit, and a description of why you need the part?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    edited July 2021
    Remember back in the day when we went to a counter and there was a older experience mechanic that knew just want you needed and even had tips on replacing the part . Today with computers I am snapping photos of every number that can be found with every angle of the equipment . At least it is post fotomat :)
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,575
    is it actually whirlpool from before they stopped making them like a decade or more ago or is it something they sold their name for? if it was actually made by whirlpool, do whatever you need to do to fix it, almost no one makes reliable dehumidifiers anymore.
    bobkoep7
  • mattmia2
    Big Ed_4 said:

Remember back in the day when we went to a counter and there was a older experience mechanic that knew just want you needed and even had tips on replacing the part . Today with computers I am snapping photos of every number that can be found with every angle of the equipment . At least it is post fotomat :)

I had an independent appliance repair claim they never carried generic parts once.
  • bobkoep7
    bobkoep7 Member Posts: 2
    XLS Products is the company responsible for all Whirlpool products So far they have been a joke. My manual says they sell parts. Girl from customer service said they only sell complete products, Figure it out.
    I don't know what product I need. My dehumidifier runs for two or three minutes then error code E3 shuts down the compressor but the fan keeps running. I see no water at all coming from the unit. That's about as far as I've gotten. Any thoughts?
  • mattmia2
    How old is it? The refrigerant leaks out of pinholes in the evaporator in most dehumidifiers built in the past 10-15 years or so after a couple years. Does the compressor run? Does the evaporator get cold and condense water out of the air? You can usually see it through the front grill if you take the filter out.
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 898
    @Big Ed 4; you probably still remember the "Stuckey" snack shops along some of the main roads of yesterday and the "Burma Shave Signs" with their tricky sayings. WOW, you must be as old as me!!!
  • jenniferlauriat
    jenniferlauriat Member Posts: 1
    Bobkoep7: I am having the same issue finding parts. My dehumidifier is only 2 years old. I can't find parts for it anywhere! I do have the model number and on all the parts supply sites (including Whirlpool site) it's not found! If I google my model number, all the hits I get are to buy the whole unit, so it is a valid model number. My humidifier works, but the nipple on the coupling for the pump discharge snapped off. It's a simple freakin part! Why can't I find it! I bought a cheapo garden hose but I think the diameter was too big so no water was pumped out. I will post a separate discussion on this. Hope someone has come across this issue and can provide a workaround.
  • mattmia2
    Make sure it isn't part of this recall:
    https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2021/two-million-dehumidifiers-with-well-known-brand-names-recalled-due-to-fire-and-burn

but basically whirlpool just sells their name to someone that imports and sells them.
  • DJD775
    DJD775 Member Posts: 249
    I would never trust Dimplex. I only use Acme brand products! :D
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    You can't buy parts for most lawnmowers, snow blowers or anything else. I have a 10-year-old Delta chop saw I can't get parts for ridiculous
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    You can't buy parts for most lawnmowers, snow blowers or anything else. I have a 10-year-old Delta chop saw I can't get parts for ridiculous
    You can buy almost every part for an Ariens snow blower both new and 50 years old
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment