Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need to fully replace Entran II tubing in slab… any advice?

sdrake99
sdrake99 Member Posts: 1
I am considering the purchase of a large home, but the majority of the main floor (in gypcrete) and basement (in the slab) uses the recalled Entran II tubing from 1995. 
I assume I will have to fully replace this system in the upcoming years, so does anyone have experiences tearing into the slabs to do this or is there a more eloquent modern solution.
Each floor is approximately 2,500 sq ft. 
Thanks in advance for any ideas or information. 

Comments

• EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,294
    My suggestion would be to see if a different hydronic system like panel rads will work with the overall layout of main and basement floors.
    If so it would be a lot cheaper then having to rip up and tear out the existing system.

E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
    mattmia2BillyOPC7060
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,575
    Or even ceiling radiant would be easier than ripping up the slab or pouring over the slab and shortening everything, but panel rads or some other retrofit would probably make far more sense.
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,524
    In situations such as yours no Ripping up or tearouts required...Maybe some Sheetrock repairs...
    We use a combination of Viega Climate Panel and Panel Radiators/Towel Racks such as Buderus/Dianorm/Myson/Runtal/Roca
    In some situations we install Radiant walls up to about 4 feet high (Not Hanging a picture Zone).
    We have done radiant ceilings but it is VERY Labor intensive therefore the cost is much higher
    than Climate Panel..
    Hope this helps..
    Zman
  • I sure like the tubing in the floor. The Gypcrete should be straightforward compared to the basement slab. If you've got the cash, not in a rush to move in and have a reliable GC and radiant contractor, go for it. Especially if you are having other work done that involves tearing into the floor.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    do you have the ability to lose and inch or two and just do a Warmboard R option? pretty simple to do, and way cleaner and simpler than tearing up concrete
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • cnmdesign
    cnmdesign Member Posts: 103
    Combat Veteran owned, Final Salute LLC on FaceBook & Twitter.
    www.afinalsalute.com