Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Baseboard Hydronic Convector clearances

Options
SJ_Mtn
SJ_Mtn Member Posts: 1
Is there a vertical clearance requirement for the hydronic baseboard heaters? I have a design that I need to put cabinets along the wall with baseboard heaters and I want to know how far above the heaters can I hang the cabinets, these are floating cabinets. Is there any heat shield that I should put on the bottom of the cabinets to deflect the heat? Or should I just push the client to switch over to either toe kick heaters or in-floor recessed heaters?

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options
    If the baseboard is hydronic the temp will be less than 200 degrees so it is not a safety issue.

The issues you need to be concerned with is allowing good air flow through and above the baseboard to get the proper heat output and if you have any finishes that the possibly 180 degree or so air could damage.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    Perhaps a more direct answer -- I'd want a few inches -- say 4 to 6 -- above the convector for air circulation. Shouldn't need more than that..
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    Options
    My preference is 12 to 18". The reason for this is to allow the warm air to rise quicker (low hanging cabinets can retard the flow of air slightly).

Jake
    mattmia2