Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vertical radiator on single stud?

phloaw
phloaw Member Posts: 9
Hi, I have an internal, decorated plasterboard wall with poor studding: 120cm from its left end, there is a 22mm wide (i.e., as measured horizontally parallel to the wall) stud, then a 38mm stud (the two studs are spaced 60cm), then, after further 78cm, the jack stud of the door. I couldn't find other studs.
I need to hang a ~2500 BTUs radiator (I have gas central heating), and I'd prefer to avoid both hanging on plasterboard and adding battens/noggins to fix the brackets (also because plasterboard seems to be less than 12mm deep, probably 9.5mm, sorry difficult to measure).

So I thought to fit a vertical radiator (total width 27cm) by fixing all the brackets to the 38mm stud (thereby avoiding fixing to plasterboard) via steel plates/flat brackets similar to this one:

Would that work and be doable?
Any suggestion welcome.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    The basic principle will work just fine. However, bear in mind that you will need two brackets -- top and bottom. The top bracket is loaded mostly in withdrawal (the top of the radiator will try to topple out into the room) so be sure you use adequate screws. In the US, that would be number 10; I'm note sure how they are sized where you are, but that would be a shank diameter of about 5 mm. You should use at least 3, spaced 38 mm or so vertically, and with a penetration into the wood of at least 38 mm. I say all this because the screws which are commonly supplied with those metal plates are really useless.

You could do the same for the bottom bracket, though that one is loaded in sheer so it not so critical.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England