Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil Fired Indirect to Gas

dkflyer
dkflyer Member Posts: 11
Hello-

I currently have a Weil-McClain Gold GO-7 steam oil boiler with indirect hot water tank.

I'm converting to gas.  Oil companies are just dishonest.  Even if it breaks even, at least I trust the gas meter.  I already have a 250 gas line that powers just a kitchen range.

I can't figure out the best, most cost efficient replacement option.

examples:
seperate gas fired hot water heater
hybrid hot water heater
new gas fired steam boiler
retrofit existing boiler from oil to gas gun (remove indirect??).

any ideas, how to calculate benefit-cost would be highly appreciated.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,177
    Overlooking the gratuitous libel of your local oil companies...

and overlooking that you may or may not be able to get additional gas service depending on where you live... and that in very cold weather you may not get any gas at all, again depending on where you live...

You need to consider the cost of lining -- or relining -- the chimney for gas. You need to consider the cost of the upgraded gas service. Any of your options will require that.

Since you do not appear to be concerned about the actual cost to run the system, you really aren't looking at cost/benefit. You are simply interested in lowest capital cost, which is likely to be the retrofit option, assuming it can be done. Get quotes from reliable installers.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Depends on the age and condition of your existing boiler.

I would do a gas conversion in the existing boiler with a Carlin power gas burner IF the boiler is in good shape. keep the indirect
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    @Jamie Hall I’d probably assume any situation with a new steam boiler requires lining.
    I’d personally prefer a thru the wall hybrid or simple power vented, for a water heater. I don’t like a small water heater flue tied into a large steam boiler flue.
    I’d also stick with oil, for many reasons,but I think it's cheaper in the long run.
    steve