Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heating plan help please

NovaScotia
NovaScotia Member Posts: 27
edited June 2021 in Radiant Heating
So I had a different post on here and I clearly didn't quite understand what I was talking about. So I did some reading on the Caleffi manuals and hopefully I have a better handle on what it is I'm doing.

I hope with a little help, I can work out any kinks in my plans.
any help is appreciated in advance.

Its all baseboard heat, in a closed system. I'm going to have 3, zones
1, for the entire downstairs floor. Second and third will control the 2 upstairs bedrooms
during the winter months I will be taping into the heat for my domestic hot water

On a side not when I look at the auto fill and backflow valves for filling the system they are always labeled as having lead and are not safe for domestic water, I have not been able to find one that is safe.

as far as my plan I believe I have everything in the correct place and I'm not missing anything. as I have never done something of this sort I'm looking for a yes this should work out, or you need, or should do this kind of thing.
when ever I work on something new to me I always tend to ask for reinsurance I'm on the right track.

I used paint shop to draw up my plans so its a bit crude.
https://ibb.co/X26HK7S this link will allow you to zoom in

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    The auto fill does not have to be lead free as it is downstream of the back flow preventer. The back flow should be
    Rich_49
  • NovaScotia

The auto fill does not have to be lead free as it is downstream of the back flow preventer. The back flow should be

so the "lead" part is in the auto fill valve and not in the back flow valve correct? that makes sense.
    it didn't specify in the item description, so I was unsure
  • NovaScotia
    any advice anyone?
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Have you done a heat loss calc?
    What size pipe and pump from the OWB?
    The way your DHW is set up, how do you heat the tank up when it cools down during periods of low usage? Pumping the water through the tank and HX and then mixing the temp to the house would work better.
    I am not nuts about the heat exchangers in series on the OWB side.
    I don't see the need for the hydrolink separator. The HX doesn't care if the flow varies a bit.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • BCHeat
    BCHeat Member Posts: 1
    Not sure I understand all of it.
    Do you have an existing boiler and will be adding your water heater to the system?
    If so, why?
  • NovaScotia
    Zman said:

Have you done a heat loss calc?
    What size pipe and pump from the OWB?
    The way your DHW is set up, how do you heat the tank up when it cools down during periods of low usage? Pumping the water through the tank and HX and then mixing the temp to the house would work better.
    I am not nuts about the heat exchangers in series on the OWB side.
    I don't see the need for the hydrolink separator. The HX doesn't care if the flow varies a bit.

its 1 inch piping from the OWB.
    Everything inside is 3/4 inch piping from the HX.
    the pump is a 1hp if i remember correctly. its bout 30ft from OWB to the house.

the idea of pumping the hot water into the hot water tank was to keep the cost of my DHW down (electric). during periods of low usage the elements will keep the DHW to temp. or at least it should.

everything I have read about using your OWB to heat your DHW says to run your line to you DHW first, normally a Side arm HX is used but I already have a plated HX to use.

You are correct from my understanding the hydrolink is not needed. But for the simplicity and added benefits of air separation, and debris collection I've decide to use it.

I appreciate any advice and or reading material recommended!