Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

TurboMax Insulation

jad3675
jad3675 Member Posts: 36
I installed a TurbMoax 23 last week and had forgotten that I had snapped a picture of the inside of the unit from the top down. They advertise '2 inches' of insulation. Which, yeah, I guess it could be 2 inches of compressed insulation.

I had a bag of blow in insulation left over. I managed to rig up a blower with a shop vac and a plastic container and blew some insulation in the voids around the tank. Starting to wonder if I should have used a two part low/no expansion foam instead.

John

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 3,278
    Looks a whole lot like they forgot to inject the foam at the factory.
  • jad3675
    edited June 9
    mattmia2 said:

Looks a whole lot like they forgot to inject the foam at the factory.

Hm. That had not crossed my mind....

This is from the submittal sheet:
    'The tank shall be wrapped in a glass fiber insulating jacket limiting thermal loss to ½ °F per hour'

So, maybe no foam injection?

John
  • mattmia2
    Maybe not. Foam is so much of a better insulator than fiberglass.
  • jad3675
    I emailed Thermo2000 about this - and they said that is the way they are insulated. I find the fact that is compressed a bit odd; I know in wall cavities it's a bad idea to compress batts. R value per inch goes up but the overall R value goes down because you have fewer inches of insulation.

Just seems odd they wouldn't fill the entire cavity with insulation.

John
  • mattmia2
    Probably the upgraded model is filled...
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 386
    Thank you very much for posting that photo. I find the insulating methodology disturbing for the reasons discussed. You are NOT supposed to compress fiberglass insulation. It insulates with its greater 'loft' trapping more air. The fiberglass it would take to fill the entire cavity would not be a great expense for the mfg. I thought that almost all tank manufacturers had switched to foam insulation.
  • jad3675
    mattmia2 said:

Probably the upgraded model is filled...

Maybe. I mean, I did buy the stripper model but only because it fit my needs.

They do have this image of a unit on their webpage...which doesn't quite line up with what I have.