Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit

Hot water drain valve

person45 Member Posts: 2

I used a screwdriver before, but the groove gets damaged.

Is there a circular knob I can attach to this?


  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 5,315
    edited June 1
    Use a fatter flat head screw driver or a thickish fender washer.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 3,977
  • person45
    person45 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, matt. That looks better.

    But I was hoping for some kind of tool I can insert, so I don't have to use a screwdriver or metal plate.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 2,284
    Hi @person45 , I like what @mattmia2 says. Just use a plastic lined steel nipple between that valve and the tank. You may need a nipple around four inches long so the handle will open fully, though this depends on the thickness of insulation on the tank. Another approach is to use a standard full port valve with a three inch lined nipple and a brass hose adapter. That cap is a nice touch, particularly if there are children around! A ball valve can be cleared in place unlike the bib-type drain valve.

    Yours, Larry