Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot water drain valve

I used a screwdriver before, but the groove gets damaged.

Is there a circular knob I can attach to this?


  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited June 2021
    Use a fatter flat head screw driver or a thickish fender washer.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,632
  • person45
    person45 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, matt. That looks better.

    But I was hoping for some kind of tool I can insert, so I don't have to use a screwdriver or metal plate.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,289
    Hi @person45 , I like what @mattmia2 says. Just use a plastic lined steel nipple between that valve and the tank. You may need a nipple around four inches long so the handle will open fully, though this depends on the thickness of insulation on the tank. Another approach is to use a standard full port valve with a three inch lined nipple and a brass hose adapter. That cap is a nice touch, particularly if there are children around! A ball valve can be cleared in place unlike the bib-type drain valve.

    Yours, Larry