Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

IBC Boiler Loud Bang

Daannicolar
Daannicolar Member Posts: 5
Hey All,

Trying to diagnose a boiler problem. Boiler is an IBC SL 14-115G3 converted to propane. Have been hearing a loud bang recently and called my plumber who installed it to figure out what the issue was. He guided me to call the gas company to ensure there were no leaks and gas pressures were in spec. Everything was fine on that end. I was able to catch the problem on video the other night and it is posted below. The boiler has only been installed for 3 years and the only other gas appliance I have is a cooktop. Has anyone seen any issues like this? Diagnosis?

https://youtu.be/yBjUeHnYP9U

Comments

• Daannicolar
    Another thing to add is that I am unable to replicate the sound. Cranked the heat and sat in the basement for an hour and the boiler did not make the sound. Could not replicate by running hot water either.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    Have they pulled the burner and looked to see if it is intact? Sometimes that mesh screen will sag and cause an issue.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I had this backfire/delayed ignition on a Munchkin.
    The heat exchanger needed cleaning the the drain was mostly plugged.
    Cleaned all that and haven't heard it since.

It is exciting if you have the box cover off and are sitting in front of it, I swear it looked as if the cover bulged slightly.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,575
    I feel like I have seen posts about this before.
  • I have heard it on a Munchkin as well. It was so loud, the neighbors called the police thinking it was a gun shot.

Definitely a combustion problem; perhaps a delayed ignition. Check the gas pressure with a manometer and make sure the pressure doesn't drop by more than 1" wc when it ignites. Also check:
    - gas/air mix with a combustion analyzer
    - condition of the igniter
    - fresh air intake

Call IBC tech. support as a last resort (844) 432-8422.

And let us know the outcome as we all like to learn.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    kcopp
  • Daannicolar
    Just an update on this situation.

Called out the gas company and had them check all the pressures and everything was within spec. No substantial pressure drops. Had them scheduled for a clean and service. After replacing electrodes, cleaning, and replacing the igniter, the sound still persists and is even worse than before. Seems like it is happening every time the boiler ignites now where it was intermittent before.

Will keep everyone posted. Hopefully this situation can be rectified before the winter.
  • Thanks for letting us know how it's progressing. I'm very interested in what the solution is.

Have you tried calling IBC?
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    It is possible the burner mesh has separated. Pull out the burner and check....

• dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    Sounds like the fire box has not had all the propane vapors cleared and you are getting a back fire.

You may have a low draft after the boiler shuts down and all the fuel gas or some liquid may be left behind
    that causes the banging.

Jake
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 898
    I always hated working on or servicing propane fired boilers with gas inputs up to 30,000,000 btu's. Give me nat gas, #2, #4, #6 fuel oil any day instead of propane.
  • Daannicolar
    Ahhhhh the plot thickens folks. Boiler is now stuck in standby mode and will not fire to make hot water. COLD SHOWERS THIS WEEKEND!!!! WOOHOO!
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,575

Called out the gas company and had them check all the pressures and everything was within spec. No substantial pressure drops. Had them scheduled for a clean and service. After replacing electrodes, cleaning, and replacing the igniter, the sound still persists and is even worse than before. Seems like it is happening every time the boiler ignites now where it was intermittent before.

Will keep everyone posted. Hopefully this situation can be rectified before the winter.

did they do a combustion analysis and set the mixture accordingly?
  • Daannicolar
    mattmia2 said:

did they do a combustion analysis and set the mixture accordingly?
    Yes they did. I checked for power at the circulating pumps and my suspicion was correct. They GOT NONE.