Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sludge, Scale and Bouncing Boilers

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 635
edited May 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
imageSludge, Scale and Bouncing Boilers

We once saw a boiler doing an Irish step dance on the basement floor. Yikes! Here are some tips to avoid boiler sludge and scale.

Read the full story here

Comments

• dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    Great dissertation. Also the humor and descriptive terminology reminds me of some of your best works. The Problem Solver and Steam Without Tears. Still have many of those issues in my library.

Jake
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,021
    Simply and well put.

On "closed" hydronic systems the non barrier tube will haunt us for generations. He is a steel sep that lasted 18 months on a high temperature rubber tube staple up. The home has seen 3 boilers in 20 years.
    The high temperature systems really suck O2 through the tube. On a sealed, leak proof system oxygen ingress is the biggest cause of corrosion problems.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Wierling
    Wierling Member Posts: 8
    Great article. I’m just a homeowner but wonder if it would be possible/make sense to manually feed distilled water into the boiler instead of boiling out the minerals with a separate hot water tank? Assuming a feed mechanism could be plumbed in.. does anyone do this or am I all wet? (figuratively speaking)
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    hot_rod said:

Simply and well put.

On "closed" hydronic systems the non barrier tube will haunt us for generations. He is a steel sep that lasted 18 months on a high temperature rubber tube staple up. The home has seen 3 boilers in 20 years.
    The high temperature systems really suck O2 through the tube. On a sealed, leak proof system oxygen ingress is the biggest cause of corrosion problems.

I hope #3 went in with a hx and stainless/brass/bronze components on the radiant side...
  • NYCBob
    NYCBob Member Posts: 1
    time to repair the leaking buried returns