Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buderus r2107 Boiler with forced hot/cold air

Moved into my new house a couple of years ago and I still cannot figure this guy out. I typically have no issues turning the heat on but my ac which is connected to this unit I struggle to turn on every summer. Does anyone know the correct way? I spent two hours and I just seem to switch the boiler on then the air but not the ac.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    There are quite a number of different ways this could be set up, so it would help to know more about it. It sounds like a hydro-air system, where the boiler creates hot water which goes to a heat exchanger coil in the ductwork, and the heating side turns the boiler and the circulating pump on. The cooling would then turn the air conditioner on.

But there are other possibiities.

Which brings us to the question of what is controlling all this? Is it a thermostat with a manual heating/cooling section? Is it a somewhat fancier thermostat which does the changeover on its own?Is there a separate power control switch for the air conditioner and another for the boiler and its pumps?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • BenP
    BenP Member Posts: 3
    Yes, it is an oil burner connected to a hydro forced air system. It is connected to an Ecobee thermostat upstairs with one zone for the entire house. The thermostat is new but the setup is the same as I had before. I turn on heat or ac and set a temperature on the thermostat but I have adjust the Buderus system for hot or cold by setting the day temp to 50 or 80.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    As I recall, if the Ecobee is set up and wired and programmed correctly it should have separate outputs for the A/C and the boiler. However, that does requite that it is wired properly... and it varies slightly with different models. If it is all correct (review the diagrams in your manual), and it is set on automatic, it will switch back and forth automatically as required.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • BenP
    BenP Member Posts: 3
    The ecobee was installed at the end of last season so the ac was turning on at that point and I had heat on all winter but for some reason it’s just not switching over.