Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler additive pressuretrol settings question

boilersteam
boilersteam Member Posts: 7
edited April 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
Hey all,
I just cleaned the pig tail, site class, and valves for our boiler. They were clogged. The pressuretrol is at its lowest for differental (additive honeywell). So we are set at about 1.5-2 psig. 

The boiler is a dunkirk. Im noticing the boiler itself is running at about 16.5 psig and seems stable right at that reading. Reading is from the boiler guage itself.

is this normal. We had some black pipe recently replaced and thats when I decided to check the pressuretrol. I am concerned the pressurtrol wasnt doing its job and we were running to much steam and heating inefficiently.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• boilersteam

Above image is our setup and a pic of the guage reading at 16.5psig. I dont have a low pressure guage, but am considering adding one with a ball valve and second pigtail siphon. Is 16.5psig normal?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    16.5 psig? Something is lying to you. Probably the gauge. First off, the pressure relief valve should release at 15 psi. Second, does the pressuretrol ever shut the boiler off? If not, it's toast -- you need a new one.

But it would be very wise to verify what the pressure really is... before something blows up.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    boilersteam
  • boilersteam
    edited April 2021
    The pressuretrol doesnt appear to be shutting it off. The pigtail was completely clogged. Its clean now. Still not shutting it off. I have the boiler shut off. Ill check pressure relief valve and the pressuretrol.

we also have a steam pressure relief on the 1.5 inch black pipe that comes out of the boiler’s piping. This is after the sediment caps etc... that does vent some slight steam.

We also have another steam valve downstream in the piping as well. In the basement.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    @boilersteam

The smart thing to do is shut the boiler down and don't run it.

It's not safe if you don't know what the pressure is

Chances are it's the gauge as @Jamie Hall said

But don't take that chance

Take your pressure control off, make sure the pigtail and the piping going into the boiler are clear.

add a 1/4" brass tee and a nipple and put a gauge on there you can gate a 0-30 at the box store or hardware store

If not call a professional
    boilersteam
  • boilersteam
    edited April 2021

Is this setup okay? Also I noticed a problem with the pressurtrol. The spring was not seated in the correct spot. I reseated it in the hole, now the lever moves much easier. I also tested the switch, it does work.

I have a 3 psi gauge on the way, thats why there is a valve and cap there. At this point, I had the boiler on, no leaks in the setup, but the gauge just seems to stay at 0. Whilst the internal siphon gauge moves fast. Im sure that gauge is inaccurate now.

Please advise on this setup.
  • boilersteam
    edited April 2021

Also pigtail was fully cleaned before I had issues with pressuretrol. I can test the boiler more later.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    That setup looks fine. In fact, nice job. Pressuretrols do come apart sometimes, if they are adjusted too far. It happens. Not surprised that that 0 to 30 gauge doesn't move -- you are probably running at less than half a pound most of the time, and that's just the way it should be.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    boilersteam
  • boilersteam
    edited April 2021
    Thank you. I just ran the boiler for awhile. The gauge did move just a really little bit. It was less than 1, which makes sense.

I now see why 0-3 psi gauge is so useful. I sourced these parts from supplyhouse.com, the gauge was about $18. I went with a 0-3 psi gauge from amazon “kodiak.”

I also added a ball valve and nipple to the site glass, so I can clean it easier and do blow downs. I have added a pic of the valve. I’ll also update a pic after I get the new gauge on. I will also test the system more for the pressuretrol.

Thanks so much for the advice and help on here. :)

• boilersteam
    edited May 2021
    New gauge arrived. It works also. Didnt have time to run it too long. Will complete later. Thanks for the help everyone.