Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mass. oil tank code

Paul_69
Paul_69 Member Posts: 251
If a oil tank inside a building in mass. was less than 5Ft from a oil burner, is it in the code that you could put up a fire wall?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Yes, according to NFPA 31, which I think Mass now uses. Can't remember if it has to be a 1 hour or 2 hour wall construction.
    steve
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Yes, Ma gave up their own oil burner code and now follows NFPA 31 from what I understand.

Funny thing is most of the installers don't know this. MA passed the new law in 2015 I think and never notified anyone. I only found out when I called the state fire marshalls office to ask a question.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    I looked it up. 1 hr fire rating must extend from floor to ceiling and at lest 1' past the boiler horizontally
    BrewbeerSTEVEusaPA
  • Paul_69
    Paul_69 Member Posts: 251
    Thanks for the info guys!!
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    Just so you know. 
    NFPA is the current “Recommendations “
    thats Minimum. 

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    I believe MA adopted NFPA31 2011, so changes since then don't necessarily apply.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    MA did adopt NFPA 31 in January of 2015 I believe. Funny thing is no one in the state seems to know this. They never told anyone. I used to teach at the union hall and they were still teaching oil burners on the old MA Code.

The only reason i found out was I called the State Fire Marshall to ask a question