Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Storage container Heat loss

Options
Jellis
Jellis Member Posts: 228
Howdy folks!
I am trying to size a heating and cooling unit for a storage container to be used as conditioned storage.
40x8x8 and 20x8x8
will use 2" of open cell spray foam on walls and ceiling,
container will be sitting on slab.
No windows, 1 exterior door
interior desired temp 70°F outdoor heating temp -4°F
I've tried a few different tools and have come up with a fair difference in BTU requirements.
Curious if anyone has had any luck with this.

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Open cell foam has an R value of 3.8 per inch. I'm guessing the only infiltration is the door?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    STEVEusaPA
  • Jellis
    Jellis Member Posts: 228
    Options
    @Robert O'Brien
    yes indeed. just the door.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    Don't overthiink it. You have 2 inches of foam at R 3.8 per inch. That gives you a total R of 7.6. Then your heat loss rate is your delta T (74) times your area -- whatever that is -- divided by your R value.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,907
    Options
    The floor is a big variable being uninsulated. Without that factor, my calc says 11,000 at design for the 40ft container. I would estimate that to double if the floor were factored in, but my program doesn't seem to want to cooperate
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,834
    Options
    Can you lift the container enough to insulate under the floor? A forklift or a couple of bottle jacks may be able to get you enough room to spray some foam under there. Then all you would need is a couple of candles every other day. That sounds like you might need Air Conditioning in the summer too. A ductless mini-split HP might do both zones if they are close enough to each other.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    bitcohen
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    Options
    what you doing in these boxes?
    ventilation?
    known to beat dead horses