Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Anode Rods and Indirects

MikeG
MikeG Member Posts: 169
Is there a reason why an indirect DHWH doesn’t have an anode rod? Is it because how the water is heated versus an electric element or flue up the center with more intense heat. Do some indirects have them? I didn’t research that. Thanks. Mike

Comments

• gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    Indirect hot water heaters have anodes, except stainless steel ones.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    The Boilermate by Amtrol does not... Plastic lined tank. Vaughn Top performer and hot-stow does not...stone (portland cement) lined steel. The older weil mclain Stainless steel tank actually did have an anode.
  • gennady
    edited April 2021
    Older weil McLain stainless steel tanks usually failed at nipples, which were not stainless steel. These tanks were stainless steel, but not exactly. No one replaced anodes, as usual.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    When I meant older I meant a few years back. The Aqua-Plus was all stainless. It did have a big anode. They also did have one that was a Triangle tube rebadged. That was the tank in a tank set up... Steel outside, SS inside.
  • gennady
    kcopp said:

When I meant older I meant a few years back. The Aqua-Plus was all stainless. It did have a big anode. They also did have one that was a Triangle tube rebadged. That was the tank in a tank set up... Steel outside, SS inside.

Ok. I’d rather believe you than my lying eyes.
    kcopp