Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pex heating with tile

Options
jimg1795
jimg1795 Member Posts: 1
Hi,
I am removing my old carpet and want to install tile down. Under the carpet I do have linoleum under the carpet which I will also be removing. My plan is to install pex tubing for the heating under the tile and connect to my existing boiler system. I will lay the tubing over the existing sub floor and then the tile. My question is with the pex, what do I need to lay down after the tubing in order to make it flush to withstand the weight of the tile?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Use one of the many 'board' products for this purpose. Or you can embed the tubing in wet bed.
    But before you get ahead of yourself, best to figure out how many btu's the room needs so you can design it properly.
    Also it will need to be on its own zone and the supply water temperature needs to be mixed down.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

ZmanEdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,844
    Options
    Gypcrete comes to mind. Depending on the total floor area that you are heating (the entire home or just one room) you may be able to mix it on-site for a small space.

Also, more important... You will need to insulate below the PEX tubing. Do you have access to the underside of the floor? If not, you will also have radiant ceiling heat for the space below the room you are heating.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    Be sure your floor framing is up to the weight of a mud set  and tile. Check out any of the tile association websites for the best application guidelines. You probably want a slip sheet ie cleavage membrane to assure no grout line cracking. Schluter makes a nice tile underlayment/ radiant system.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream