Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Flooding Steam Boilers during the Cooling Season

Heating season is pretty much over down here in Durham NC, most days have been getting into the low 80s this past week. How effective is flooding boilers for the summer?
Does adding all that fresh oxygenated water each summer really help extend the life of a boiler or are you better off just leaving it alone?
I just earned my GED and am looking for a apprenticeship with one of these steam gurus on this site!

Comments

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,690
    If you flood it, definitely heat it up to push out the oxygen...but then the oxygen is in the pipes haha but I guess it's going to be there anyway. Plus the pipes are cheaper than the boiler.

More important I think, will you have a ph-boosting treatment in the water?
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    luketheplumber
  • luketheplumber
    luketheplumber Member Posts: 149
    @ethicalpaul you mean just heat it up and not boil? I don't want to throw a ton of water and hammer the main vents to death.
    I just earned my GED and am looking for a apprenticeship with one of these steam gurus on this site!
    ethicalpaul
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,690
    Yes. Heat it up to just before steaming. Or if you don't have a glass header and can't tell when that is, I think if you fill it high on the gauge glass, then heat it to boiling, then shut it down and add a few more gallons, the added water will get heated up by the boiler's mass and drive out the oxygen.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,684
    edited April 2021
    I have never heard of this proceedure. Does it really help with the air conditioning that much?
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    dabrakeman
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 394

I have never heard of this proceedure. Does it really help with the air conditioning that much?

Nothing to do with AC. It’s to help the boiler last longer. By flooding it, the water line is higher. The water line is where most corrosion happens and where boilers normally fail first. Especially 1 pipe steam that have more oxygen in the system in normal operation.

I do this with my boiler. In my case it also heats DHW, so its slightly more efficient with a higher water level and short cycles less.
    luketheplumber
  • luketheplumber
    luketheplumber Member Posts: 149
    Ok thanks all I will be showing the homeowner how to flood her boiler and how to start it up for the winter.