Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Partial tour in a Historical landmark.

Double D
Double D Member Posts: 442
Some of the old and some of the new. 

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Was this a steam to water conversion for the entire house?
  • Double D
    The old system was steam. All of the radiators were removed in the section of the building in the photo. A boiler and chiller system was installed. There are still sections of the building that have not gone through renovation yet but the original steam system has been shut down. 1st floor was mostly indirect still in place in the sections which have not been renovated yet. 2nd through top floors were cast iron tube type radiators. The building was originally a state hospital. Recent years after renovation it has been called Hotel Henry 444 Forest Ave. Buffalo, NY.
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 898
    edited March 2021
    Don't breath too heavy around that old piping. That said, I prefer the older piping to the new piping. You really had to be skilled in your trade to install an old system. With the old systems you needed to know how to fabricate, weld, thread and screw. My 2 cents.
  • Double D
    Here's the inside of a Velan steam trap with check valve air vent. This system is in a building that was completed in 1880. There is no thermostatic element inside the trap. It appears it operated with a water seal. This system was fed with district steam. I assume it had a vacuum pump but it would have had to have been steam powered unless this system went in after the facility opened.  Has anyone ever seen or heard of one of these systems?