Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water heater goop

GW
GW Member Posts: 4,691
What is this weird white goop that came out of the bottom of this old elec water heater? 

Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
gary@wilsonph.com

Comments

• PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,155
    I’d say there tank bottom had failed and the white bits are the broken up minerals that dropped out of solution onto the bottom of the tank during years of service. 
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    edited March 2021
    Bradford white WH?
    Its the reaction w/ the Aluminum anode rod. I have seen it pretty bad before (gallons)....usually its milky clear.
    Larry WeingartenSuperTechGW
  • GW
    Don’t recall the brand, this was a month ago or so thanks 😊 
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Nasty.
    Are those OSHA approved sneakers?
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    Did you replace it with a hybrid?
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • GW
    This was a rather large Viessmann boiler and Bosch Hp installation, we slid in a Viessmann indirect water heater
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • GW
    HVACNUT said:

Nasty.
    Are those OSHA approved sneakers?

LL Bean hiking shoes, I am waiting for LL Bean to get their stock in order, i need a new pair!
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Pretty sure it is the anode rod. I have seen that on a lot of water heaters, and bad enough they did not want to drain. And I am just guessing on the rod.
    Rick
    GW
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,524
    Is this a jelly-like substance? It can also appear as grey, green or blueish beads or gel.
    Municipal or well water ?
    What is your PH level at ? 8 plus? We do NOT use bitumen strips to check PH as they are not that accurate.
    How old was the Water Heater that was replaced?
    Did you pull the anode rod to investigate ?
    See it as the equivalent as finding metal shavings or a burned smell during a oil change..
    Sometimes you may have to switch gears on your Anode selection. It could be Aluminum Hydroxide from the anode and you may need a magnesium rod instead.
    It also occurs many times in areas with high chlorine/chloramines in the water supply.
    It could also be a reaction caused by high pH water mineral content...As with any water that is being heated Minerals such as Calcium and Magnesium will drop out of solution ..In this case it will drop to the bottom of the water heater and will also deposit on the HX which will affect the heat exchange negatively
    Even the 100 and the better quality 300 series Viessmann Water Heaters May not like this situation and it could void the warranty.
    Maybe it is time to investigate.
    GW
  • GW
    Yes we slid in a viessmann, I’ll check into the water quality. It’s a well. I don’t know how old the heater was, maybe 25 or 30 years or so. I didn’t yank the old rod. Thanks 
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Campyman
    Campyman Member Posts: 0
    Magnesium anode rod
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,524
    If you installed the Viessmann 100 series they come with a Magnesium Rod.
    The 300 series does not have one due to the Stainless construction.
  • GW
    OK what's the newer EVIA??? I kinda lost track of Viessmann's water heaters. The 53 is grey but the 42 is white, not sure what that means
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com