Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old Steel Expansion tank

vicki1990
vicki1990 Member Posts: 2
edited February 2021 in Gas Heating
How do you add air to an old steel expansion tank? The expansion tank doesn't not have an area where I can read the pressure but I do have a compressor and I can add air to it.
I drained water from it today and i opened one of the plugs but it doesn't seem to suck air rather than push it out. Was weird. Perhaps it's an old junk. Thanks for your help

Here is a similar old steel tank I have.

I have one of these guys:

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,828
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • vicki1990
    I have read your post and saw your diagram about the expansion tank; i do not believe my expansion tank SUCKS any air but rather blow it out; I was thinking of introducing air via compressor to it. am I missing something?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,275
    You drain the tank completely empty when it is valved off from your system. Then close the drain and open the valve to the system and bring the system up to pressure. That's all there is to it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    rick in Alaska
  • vicki1990

You drain the tank completely empty when it is valved off from your system. Then close the drain and open the valve to the system and bring the system up to pressure. That's all there is to it.

Hi Jamie! I did that but when I watch some other videos I notice that whenever you drain the expansion tank you would need to allow air back in; once you open that tiny valve, the expansion tank sucks air IN. My expansion tank blow air out; I did what you said earlier but my pressure keeps going back up again, every time I drain the tank the way you said to do. thanks for the help.

Vicki
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,517
    @vicki1990

@Jamie Hall is correct. Just drain the tank when it is completely empty close the drain valve. Open the valve that connects the tank to the system and leave it all the way open. The tank will be full of air and the water will enter. Add enough water from the system fill valve (city water to bring the system pressure to 12-15 psi.

The tank is supposed to be 1/2 air and 1/2 water which it will be.

It's not supposed to be 100% full of air

You only need to drain the tank if it is waterlogged (100%) full of water. If you have any automatic air vents on the system remove them and install manual bleeders