Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best Valves for Runtal Radiator

Options
Justin_DeSilva
Justin_DeSilva Member Posts: 1
edited February 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
Hi everyone,
We renovated a bathroom and are replacing an existing cast iron radiator with a Runtal UF-6-36 to maximize space and trying to select the best valve setup. The install is straight, coming up through the floor. We prefer a manual valve and aren't interested in a thermostatic valve. The Runtal will be installed 2nd from the last radiator in the loop, the last radiator being a bedroom.

I'm often seeing Runtal baseboards installed with no valves but thought the valves were still useful for shutoff, flow and balancing. When talking with Runtal the technical rep stated the only valves with flow adjustment were the VALVE-PC allowing for a 1/4 turn adjustment similar to a standard valve.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/VALVE-ANG-SET.pdf

At $75 a pair I felt the price was a bit high for such a limited range in adjustment. I also didn't like the idea of being limited to a sweat connection. I looked at some other alternatives and found the Myson LKD16SN valve. What impressed me the most was the Myson allows up to 5 turns for flow and balancing adjustment. And the valve allows a threaded connection. I understand the range might be excessive but the combination of 5 turns, a "re-usable" threaded connection and a price point of $40 a set seems like a smarter option.

http://www.mysoncomfort.com/Products/Radiators---Valves

Also, I toyed with the idea of installing common valves under the floor from the basement and terminating with nickel plated nipples into the radiator. The appearance would look clean and minimal in the bathroom but the install would be a little comical because the hot water valves are only available in right angle.

Am I over thinking this, probably. Would anyone care to comment or recommend something better?

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Is this being installed in series? What type are the other radiators?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    mattmia2
  • TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 755
    Options
    when I do the runtal towels -- I pipe them direct and use a zone valve with thermostat
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    I usually use oventrope valves, work for balancing and stop valves.
    Good luck
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,637
    Options
    They are just 1/2" npt. You could use standard straight globe radiator valves and chrome nipples and fittings. Or you could get a more compact ball or globe valve and just use black iron or pex and get the pipe covers for the runtal.
  • Justin_DeSilva
    Justin_DeSilva Member Posts: 1
    Options
    @Zman: Parallel, the other radiators are cast iron of various sizes.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    mattmia2 said:

They are just 1/2" npt. You could use standard straight globe radiator valves and chrome nipples and fittings. Or you could get a more compact ball or globe valve and just use black iron or pex and get the pipe covers for the runtal.

I agree, any 1/2" valve will work.
    It's is a good idea to have tap handy. Sometimes the Runtal threads need some help.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,537
    Options
    We use Myson, Danfoss or Oventrop with Hemp to prevent leaks on the UF Series Rads.
    Caleffi has the 220400A and 221400 A ..They also have 338,342 and the 339 rad valves for the American market...I am guessing that Hemp is not used for these Radiator valves.
    Then again maybe HR can shed some light on these Valves.
    Zman