Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler occasionally not firing?

Options
seanbeck1
seanbeck1 Member Posts: 19
edited February 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
Hi guys looking for some help here. 
I have a Slant-Fin conventional gas fired boiler feeding 3 zones with one circulating pump and 3 zone valves.
Twice in the last week I’ve noticed my house getting cold. Gone into my boiler room and noticed that the boiler was not firing. Yet there was a call for heat in all three zones and the circulating pump is running.
It’s almost like the pilot light is going out and then not re-lighting. It’s a self igniting pilot.
I’ve been able to fix this by turning the boiler on and off and then it will fire. I hear the ignition and then the burners kick in.
I had some drywall/sanding done in my basement recently. Could this have affected anything in my boiler?
Thanks guys.

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,864
    Options
    Most likely the pilot burner is dirty. Blowing on the pilot burner openings with a piece of tubing, ort a can of compressed air that computer repairmen use will usually do the trick.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• seanbeck1
    seanbeck1 Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Most likely the pilot burner is dirty. Blowing on the pilot burner openings with a piece of tubing, ort a can of compressed air that computer repairmen use will usually do the trick.
    Thank you very much I will try that. I should remove the pilot assembly, clean and then re-install?
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Most people forget about the heating system until there is a problem. Most people do regular maintenance on their car BEFORE there is a failure. I wonder why that is? The automotive industry did a better job of requiring maintenance for the warranty to be valid. The boiler industry not so much.

Read the manual that came with the boiler. There is a section called Maintenance. If you do your own car maintenance then you can probably do your own boiler maintenance. If you "have a guy" to do the car... you should have another guy for the heater. Guy = Gender non-descript and can also be male, female, or whatever the other genders are

Yours Truly,
    Mr.Ed

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• EdTheHeaterMan
    Options
    If you have a long enough tube, you could blow it out in place!

Edward Young Retired