Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler occasionally not firing?

seanbeck1
seanbeck1 Member Posts: 19
edited February 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
Hi guys looking for some help here. 
I have a Slant-Fin conventional gas fired boiler feeding 3 zones with one circulating pump and 3 zone valves.
Twice in the last week I’ve noticed my house getting cold. Gone into my boiler room and noticed that the boiler was not firing. Yet there was a call for heat in all three zones and the circulating pump is running.
It’s almost like the pilot light is going out and then not re-lighting. It’s a self igniting pilot.
I’ve been able to fix this by turning the boiler on and off and then it will fire. I hear the ignition and then the burners kick in.
I had some drywall/sanding done in my basement recently. Could this have affected anything in my boiler?
Thanks guys.

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,720
    Most likely the pilot burner is dirty. Blowing on the pilot burner openings with a piece of tubing, ort a can of compressed air that computer repairmen use will usually do the trick.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • seanbeck1
    seanbeck1 Member Posts: 19
    Most likely the pilot burner is dirty. Blowing on the pilot burner openings with a piece of tubing, ort a can of compressed air that computer repairmen use will usually do the trick.
    Thank you very much I will try that. I should remove the pilot assembly, clean and then re-install?
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited February 2021
    Most people forget about the heating system until there is a problem. Most people do regular maintenance on their car BEFORE there is a failure. I wonder why that is? The automotive industry did a better job of requiring maintenance for the warranty to be valid. The boiler industry not so much.

Read the manual that came with the boiler. There is a section called Maintenance. If you do your own car maintenance then you can probably do your own boiler maintenance. If you "have a guy" to do the car... you should have another guy for the heater. Guy = Gender non-descript and can also be male, female, or whatever the other genders are

Yours Truly,
    Mr.Ed
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    If you have a long enough tube, you could blow it out in place!