Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Floor trench heating with one pipe steam

Options
jweob
jweob Member Posts: 14
We are adding a floor to ceiling store-front style window to a kitchen (see render). The architect has recommended we have recessed heating in a trench on the floor in front of the window to help manage the downdraft. We have a 1 pipe steam system and there is an existing riser very near to the window location. The radiator spec'd is the Governale Industries convector unit (http://governaleindustries.com/products/convectors/).
The description for this unit doesn't mention use in a floor trench. I also coudn't find any examples on this forum of people using 1 pipe steam with trench heating, and I have seen concerns with trench heating about getting proper air flow. My questions are:
1) Can trench heating work well with 1 pipe steam?
2) Is the proposed convector a good choice?

Thanks!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,313
    Options
    It will work -- or rather, it can be made to.

Two things. First, your architet/builder/who have you has to ensure that there is ample air circulation around it. The air has to be able to get into the trench underneath it and then flow up through it. I'll leave that to them.

Perhaps more important: it will give you trouble if you pipe it from just one end. What needs to be done is to feed the steam to it at one end, and then give it a slope -- I'd suggest an inch or so in 10 feet -- down to the other end. Put a vent on that end. then provide a drain from that end to a wet return somewhere down below -- like at basement floor level. NOT to a steam main or steam main extension. Without both the vent and the drain it will heat poorly, if at all, and may be noisy.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    mattmia2
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,533
    Options
    Does this have a basement underneath?

I don't know about the convector he picked but your architect is right you need heat in front of that window. If you have access underneath to pipe it right it will be fine.......provided your installer knows what he is doing.

If no access underneath it may be able to be done but more difficult
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    As an aside to this, whoever designs and builds the trench arrangement should allow you access top or bottom (maybe both) to the complete length. It's going to accumulate a lot of dirt and dust so you will need to clean it, I'd say at least yearly. The dirtier it gets, the less airflow you will have and the less effective it will become.

These are the minor details that can add up to a major pain later.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,660
    Options
    you could also build a box below it and make an indirect radiator/convector