Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler water test kit

Options
Zman
Zman Member Posts: 7,569
I just took on a client that is experiencing odd corrosion in a huge heating system (~7,000 gallons). I am wanting to test the water for any potential causes.
Has anyone had experience with this? https://www.hannainst.com/hi3827-boiler-and-feedwater-chemical-test-kit.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA-vLyBRBWEiwAzOkGVFTZ0I7dhzUEJ1V4fuqHPbjcH8LZjhKg4XgixTzSeiZyaxOeoZJMfhoCiN8QAvD_BwE
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
Albert Einstein

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    Knowing how to interpret the test results is critical.

An analogy would be a combustion analyzer, pulling numbers or knowing what the results tell you to do.

I think on a critical project where you are responsible for the results, or expensive ramifications, you may want to send a sample to an expert for testing and recommendations for action, Rhomar or any of the hydronic experts. A report with the signature of an industry expert for validity and liability?

A kit like that would be nice to have to identify water issues before it is put into a system. A class or seminar on how to interpret the results may be helpful?

We started the process of developing a hydronic water quality standard for the industry to refer to, much like the German VDI 2035
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Zman
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,543
    Options
    We use the Hanna HI 98194 which measures PH/EC/TDS and salinity.
    It is a Work horse and it works great when adhering to the VDI standard..When PH and EC are keeped low generally the TDS and Sal also fall into place.
    A 8 week follow up to make sure that the PH is still in check is advisable.
    We use Sacrificial anodes it keep the PH in check..
    Just keep in mind that any equipment such as the HI 98194 needs to be Calibrated on a regular basis using unexpired Calibration fluids.
    To check for other substances such as Iron and Copper we use test strips.
    The kit you are inquiring about looks great, We may purchase one our self...
    Caleffi also offered a NA575002 in the 2017 Catalog don't think it measured EC.
    Low energy systems in Denver Colorado also has a Basic entry level Test kit which measures PH/EC and DH.
    Hope this Helps.
    Richard.
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes