Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat link actuator stuck on open

I have one of the actuators on the manifold for my floor heating stuck on open. The zone with the problem has two circuits but only one of them has the "stuck" problem. I don't think this is a wiring issue as I only noticed it recently. Do I need to replace the actuator or is there is it possible to remove it for cleaning and checking the wiring, etc.?
Hoefhoef.

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    Shut off the power to see if there is an short keeping it open ..Warm unit could be another hint ...

Remove head and check spring loaded plunger valve , try penetrating oil to free up first ... If not replace
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    As Ed mentioned, often times the small plunger stem under the actuator gets sticky or stuck. Once you remove the actuator and check it for operation by cycling the t-stat, Use the handle end of a screwdriver and see if you can easily push down the actuator pin you see on the manifold, it should be spring loaded and move with minimal effort.

Thermal actuators can take 3 minutes or more to operate to fully open, look up inside to see the plunger move, and it should also get warm as it heats up to open.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • rlaspinall
    rlaspinall Member Posts: 1
    I have a heat link system and have one manifold where four zones with accentuators are controlled with one thermostat. All accentuators seem to be working, but three of the four zones are not circulating. How would I dig deeper than what is noted in the previous threads?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Is there a indicator on the actuator showing that it is in fact open? You could unscrew the actuator from the manifold, it will allow that port to be open. Disconnect the power lead to the actuator you remove. Are the actuators wired to a relay box, a circulator needs to start when the valves open.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    If the four zones are controlled by one stat, and if they're the only ones connected to that manifold, then you don't need actuators. The stat could be set to bring on the pump for that manifold, if that's the only thing the pump supplies.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    baileys68