Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

1 inch ProPex (Expansion) to 1 inch FIP Swivel? [Water Softener Connection]

Options
iced98lx
iced98lx Member Posts: 68
I am re-plumbing from my meter to my water softener (and possibly on through more if it doesn't fix my pressure problems....) and I am stuck at the part where it will connect to the water softener. The softener has a 1 inch male pipe thread connection on it and I currently use a braided connection like this to connect 3/4 copper to the 1 inch inlets:

I found a 1 inch to 1 inch version but the ID of it is very small compared to the 1inch pex I'm painstakingly running.

Any suggestions on how to better hook this up?

TIA!

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,129
    Options
    You can buy copper tube adapters, then convert to Pex, just google water softener connection kits.
    Up sizing will help some, but the pressure drop is also in the softener head itself
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,637
    Options
    Just put a brass union (and nipple if needed) on the softener and connect an npt to propex fitting on the union and run the pex up to the softener or run it in copper up to the pex. the pex is much more durable than that flex line.
    delta T
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,637
    Options
    BTW, 1" pex is about the same id as 3/4" copper or ips.
  • iced98lx
    iced98lx Member Posts: 68
    Options
    hot_rod said:

You can buy copper tube adapters, then convert to Pex, just google water softener connection kits.
    Up sizing will help some, but the pressure drop is also in the softener head itself

Thanks, I guess I was just hoping there was a fitting ready to screw on with a PEX connection ready to go, but I think I need to just use a bit of copper with a pex transition. Appreciate the note on the softner, I know it represents a restriction but the goal with the replumb is to remove the existing possible problems with the old plumbing (old, stuck valves, etc).
    mattmia2 said:

Just put a brass union (and nipple if needed) on the softener and connect an npt to propex fitting on the union and run the pex up to the softener or run it in copper up to the pex. the pex is much more durable than that flex line. BTW, 1" pex is about the same id as 3/4" copper or ips.

Yea I think this is the best solution, I just hoped there would be a single fitting solution but there are plenty of ways to string a bit of copper together without losing volume. As for 1 inch pex (.875 ID) vs 3/4 inch Copper (0.745) I know it's not a big upgrade but I'm most focused on eliminating old fittings and bad choices in an effort to find some lost pressure, though I think we're actually losing volume not pressure, so hopefully this will help some.