Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant and refrigerators

Options
TAG
TAG Member Posts: 755
Has there been any recent discussions or studies about the effects on a refrigerator when placed on radiant floors?

I always hold the tubes back .. but still warmer. This is the first time I have used Warmboard in a kitchen and I did hold the tubes back. My last kitchen had a subzero with the compressors/ air exchange at the top. Prior was tile and the Amana unit had enough room for some of that bubble stuff .. it did seem to work.

A new french door SubZero is 10k+ .... I can get a Miele for the bargain price of 7K ... but the air exchange is at the bottom. Crazy numbers.

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,834
    edited January 2021
    Options
    TAG said:

Has there been any recent discussions or studies about the effects on a refrigerator when placed on radiant floors?

No...Not on HeatingHelp.com, but I used the search function to look, in order to answer this query. First I've heard about even thinking about this. Interesting thought.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • nosirra1Arrison
    nosirra1Arrison Member Posts: 57
    Options
    I noticed that my beer was not as cold so I pulled the pex out of the plate and put in some 1 1/2” foam board. Beer is cold again.

Solid_Fuel_Manwoobagooba
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,637
    Options
    regardless of where the condenser is, it will still heat the cabinet and transfer more heat in to the compartment than room temp air and surfaces will.
  • TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 755
    Options
    I'm surprised this is not more of a topic ....

Although --my current project seems to be working with low 70 water .. so the heat would be less than what many would work
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
    It will make the unit work harder. How much is hard to tell. Domestic units are designed for 90°F supply to the condenser. Is it that hot on the floor?
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    I always hold the tube out of the appliance space as well. Trouble is (and has been) when the layout gets changed and now there is a cold spot on the floor. 

In my own home, I keep the tubing out of all the base cabinet space as well as the slide in range and the fridge. 

Kind of like keeping tuning 2' away from overhead doors in a garage slab. That is what I've always done. 
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!