Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Endoscope/Borescope for finding plumbing leaks

Options
deyrup
deyrup Member Posts: 62
edited January 2021 in Plumbing
I found one my plumbing leaks but I can't find the other because there is a board in the way. It looks like I can wrap an endoscope around the board. Are endoscopes good for finding leaks in hard to get to locations or are they best for just going through pipes internally? Should I try to find the leak by sticking the endoscope down the pipe?

For the leak I found is the normal fix for a tub drain leak to just replace the drain or do I need to replace the whole tub? I would expect that you could fix the leak either by replacing the pipe or replacing the drain and the tub matters itself matters little unless there is a hole straight through.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,546
    Options
    Cast iron tub is probably ok. Getting the drain out is a little difficult. I would change the drain wire brush and paint some rust spots on the bottom of the tub
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,672
    Options
    When the wrench breaks the bars off the inside of the drain, there is a tool that is like an inside pipe wrench that will grip the drain from the inside walls so you can unscrew it from the shoe. It actually probably just needs a new gasket but might as well replace the whole trip lever assembly while you're in there. I suppose it is possible that the tub is cracked, but otherwise it is replaceable.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    you often end up damaging the spud, so plan on replacing the entire waste and overflow Most are plastic these days

A bore scope or sewer camera are good for searching inside or outside the pipes
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream