Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Power Vent Running Whenever Thermostat Calls for Heat

dbennett78
dbennett78 Member Posts: 6
I have a Burnham P-204A-WNI boiler that has an external power vent. I had an issue with the ignition control board a couple of weeks ago, and had a repairman come in and replace the board. Since they came, the power vent is always running when any of the thermostats with 3 zones calls for heat, rather than when the burner is firing. It looks like they wired the aquastat to the Draft detection switches which runs the ignition control board, and the Power vent (Red, White, Green Wires) are just connected to the 24 VAC transformer on the left side of the boiler. Can someone let me know if theres a way to re-wire this so that the power vent runs only when the burner is firing and not all the time?

Comments

• dbennett78
    Can I just connect the green wire from the power vent to the red wire coming out of the aquastat so it completes the circuit to ground when there is a call for heat?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Wired correctly, the power vent should turn on when the boiler is asked to fire. Then, when the power vent proves (however its safety switch is set up) the burner should fire.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • dbennett78
    Yes I understand that, so how do I re-wire my current setup in the pictures to get the power vent to only turn on when the boiler is asked to fire.
  • dbennett78

Can I just connect the green wire from the power vent to the red wire coming out of the aquastat so it completes the circuit to ground when there is a call for heat?

Well Tried connecting the green wire from the powervent to the aquastat red wire, along with the vent proving switch wire, and while it turned on when the aquastat was heating up the boiler, it didnt turn off the vent or the gas valve when it hit the high temp set point on the aquastat
  • dbennett78
    Can I have the Air proving switch connected to the 24 V (GND) on the Honeywell S8610M module from the transformer, instead of the way its currently wired Aquastat -> Air Proving Switch -> 24V (call for heat)? Then the green ground wire for the power vent would go to the red wire for the Aquastat and the red wire for the aquastat would also go to the 24V (call for heat).

This way, the power vent would turn on when the aquastat calls for heat, and the Gas Valve control board would only turn on when airflow is detected.
  • dbennett78
    Any ideas out there?