Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New NTi boiler. Hot water hit and miss, low pressure. House heat is not maintained. Propane

bjdboop44
bjdboop44 Member Posts: 3
Just had new NTI 199btu boiler installed. Hot water is hit and miss and only last 2-3 minutes. House heat is not consistent either. It seems like its calling for heat too much. inside temp thermostat doesn't match thermostat on wall.
To get hot water for the 2-3 seconds, we have to turn on other faucets first.

Comments

• neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,689
    on the domestic,
    what is the temp set to?
    are you mixing cold at the faucets?
    need to maintain a minimum hot flow rate,
    try 105,(110)
    have you or the installer checked the inlet screen?
    could be blocked up with install trash,
    same question on the heating, is the screen clean?
    have all the loops been purged, and again?
    and if so, how?
    don't see purge valves,
    how new is this?
    what type emitters ?
    known to beat dead horses
  • bjdboop44
    Update: I decide to chance a 3 minute shower. I turned on the bathroom faucet first then the shower. Low and behold, warm water began flowing to hot water. I jumped in and never had to mix the hot/cold but was able to take a hot shower. Still would appreciate any thoughts on what's going on. We converted from an outside wood boiler to this NTI system. Thank you.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    If it was an outside wood boiler they are usually an open system. There may be a good amount of junk/ rust in the system. At a minimum it will need a good flush out and some system cleaner installed... maybe a power flush.
  • fenkel
    fenkel Member Posts: 162
    Check you system over..it appears you have a valve open from supply line to return line...its the fourth zone from the left...this should be closed..if it remains opened,  your zones will not maintain constant temp..water is " lazy" and will take the easiest path...
  • fenkel
    fenkel Member Posts: 162
    Also check your owners manual...you might have the dhw settings incorrect.
    Also, your expansion tank and air degas should be before the zone pumps...it will remove more air from system( might be part ofyour problem).
    jimna01
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    The workmanship and pride in work is lacking. The electrical box was mounted too far from the boiler so they needed an "extension cord". As was mentioned the air separator is in a spot that doesn't allow it to work nearly as well as it could. I dont see any primer on the venting, sure, it could be clean work and I hope so, but from the rest of the job I would check if its primed and glued. Due to the lack of detail, perhaps you are not converted (if you are running on LP) or you may have low gas pressure if you are running on Nat.

This boiler is pretty robust, and many companies are putting this boiler out HTP, NTI, etc, and I havent seen too many issues so far. From the pics it seems you chose a good boiler but the installer let you down.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
    SuperTech
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Wonky Piping put that boiler in. I've seen his work before, he is good friends with Murphy. 
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    BillyO
  • bjdboop44
    We`re still having heat and hot water issues. Does anyone know if NTI 199btu systems require zone valves? Anyone in the Plattsburgh NY area?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,164
    They shouldn't -- if the zone pumps have built in check valves. Check and see.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    Jamie is correct, they dont require it. Have you shut off the loop on the header that just ties into itself?
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Contact NTI directly, check with your local government, see if you can locate another install company.. just some suggestions on what i see, you need that install checked by someone other than the original installer....
  • mmcchi
    mmcchi Member Posts: 1
    Did this issue get resolved? What was the solution?  We have the same boiler.  It is a combi with a storage tank for hot water.  The heat sometimes can’t keep up during cold weather.  The water is hit or miss.  Sometimes hot, sometimes cold.  Sometimes warm.  Not good for my morning routine!!!!
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,022
    mmcchi said:

Did this issue get resolved? What was the solution?  We have the same boiler.  It is a combi with a storage tank for hot water.  The heat sometimes can’t keep up during cold weather.  The water is hit or miss.  Sometimes hot, sometimes cold.  Sometimes warm.  Not good for my morning routine!!!!

Best to make a new post, most of the time posters do not return to explain the resolution, and many times there are multiple possible solutions. The above example is not piped correctly for starters which could cause several issues with the boiler