Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is this Navien being vented properly

Options
deyrup
deyrup Member Posts: 62
edited December 2020 in Domestic Hot Water
I sometimes smell something from the Navien (gas or some kind of exhaust); it isn't strong, but definitely noticeable. I read that sometimes Navien do this, but I am wondering if the Navien is being vented properly. The previous owner bought a Navien so I wasn't involved in the install.

Comments

• deyrup
    Options
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    Matches the instructions, anyway. Whether it's high enough off the ground to be clear of, and stay clear of, snow, I wouldn't say -- since I don't know where you are.

You smell this outside? but isn't gas? (if you smell it inside, either something is amiss or you are very sensitive; if you smell gas, something is really amiss). It is almost inevitable that you will smell exhaust from a ground level gas fired appliance from time to time. Can't help it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    rick in Alaska
  • deyrup
    Options
    I smell it inside; but I am not sure if it was exhaust or unburnt gas. The vents are not high enough to be clear of snow; we got enough snow that they were blocked (we got about 12" yesterday), but we cleared everything away from the vents.
  • CCUSTOMS007
    CCUSTOMS007 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I also have a smell inside and out of the house. Everyone thinks I'm crazy but it is actually driving me nuts. You can smell our house from the next street over! Why is this?? I called the gas company multiple times and nothing
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    The smell of unburned gas is very distinctive. If that's what you are smelling, kindly turn things off and leave them off until you can get a qualified heating tech. out there to find out what's amiss.

The smell of combustion products is also very distinctive -- and very different. If that's what you are smelling outside, it's probably normal -- though it wouldn't hurt to have a tech. check the adjustments on the burner. If you are smelling it inside, however, that's not normal nor safe. Something is wrong with the venting, and you need to find out what it is, and the sooner the better.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England