Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pressuretrol to Vaporstat replacement

Options
tumbz
tumbz Member Posts: 94
edited January 2021 in Strictly Steam
ok, as you guys probably know that i been getting banging near my boiler. since my home was renovated, much of the piping is hidden so i cannot check for sags.

I just bought a vaporstat to see if this would help with the banging. right now my pressuretrol, i am running at about 1 to 1.5 psi of steam.

Can you guys tell me how to install the new vapor stat? is it as easy as the 1/4 inch screw on and the 2 wires like whats on my pressuretrol? I dont actually have the vaporstat in my hand yet, but its being delivered today and i want to install it as soon as i get home from work.

Also, since this is 0-16 ounce vaporstat, i want to use my pressuretrol as a back up, can i just TEE both of these off of a copper pigtail? If i do, how can i get power to both? I only have a power cord with 2 wires currently.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,322
    Options
    Yes you can just put both of them on the same T -- although there's a lot to be said for separate pigtails, it's not mandatory.

The wiring is easy. You have the one line going now to the pressuretrol. You're going to need some extra wire... they must be in series. Disconnect one of the two wires at the pressuretrol, and connect it to the break on rise terminal on the new vapourstat. Take another wire, connect it to the pressuretrol terminal you just disconnected, and connect the other end to the common terminal on the vapourstat (the two terminals you want are R and B on the vapourstat).
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    tumbz
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,539
    Options
    @tumbz

Lowering the pressure may not stop the banging.

Yes as @Jamie Hall mentioned a tee and a few fittings will get the vaporstat mounted. As for the wiring get a "duplex" BX connector. This allows you to put two cables each containing two wires into 1 control as the control only has 1 knockout for wiring. You wire both controls in series meaning either control will shut down the boiler.

You have two wires now. Run 1 of those wires to the vaporstat. Run the other wire to the pressure control (wire nut splice it in the first control). Then run a wire from the vaporstat terminal to the pressure control and connect it up.

Both controls are to be wired to "break the circuit on pressure rise" this is only a concern if the control has 3 wiring terminals have.

Make sure when you are done that both controls will shut down the boiler and that your low water cutoff works
    tumbz
  • tumbz
    Options
    you guys are the best! THANK YOU!
  • tumbz
    Options
    im going to try to lower the pressure and vent the main a little slower to hopefully minimize the banging. my system actually heats up quick and all the radiators work perfectly. its just the banging in the mains close to the boiler that i cant get rid of. its especially loud at night and i dont know why. im just trying to exhaust all my options since ripping out the walls would be the last step since my basement is finished.

@tumbz

Lowering the pressure may not stop the banging.

Yes as @Jamie Hall mentioned a tee and a few fittings will get the vaporstat mounted. As for the wiring get a "duplex" BX connector. This allows you to put two cables each containing two wires into 1 control as the control only has 1 knockout for wiring. You wire both controls in series meaning either control will shut down the boiler.

You have two wires now. Run 1 of those wires to the vaporstat. Run the other wire to the pressure control (wire nut splice it in the first control). Then run a wire from the vaporstat terminal to the pressure control and connect it up.

Both controls are to be wired to "break the circuit on pressure rise" this is only a concern if the control has 3 wiring terminals have.

Make sure when you are done that both controls will shut down the boiler and that your low water cutoff works