Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Radiant PEX heat transfer plates and route around 2" drain pipe...

RodHot
RodHot Member Posts: 18
edited December 2020 in Radiant Heating
I have a run of aluminum heat transfer plates that layout direct in the path of a 2" shower drain. See photo, is the following "route around" look acceptable? I was concerned that the spacing between the short aluminum plates was too close together? I could take the two 16" aluminum plate sections out and put in place two 12" aluminum plate sections. This would allow a bit more space for the PEX pipe.

Thank you

Comments

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,396
    Why are 2 pex pipes entering 1 plate?
  • RodHot
    Only 1 PEX pipe is being used for this entire run.
  • hcpatel78
    hcpatel78 Member Posts: 126
    edited December 2020
    1/4" spacing should be more than enough with the tube has nice bend(not sharp). Aluminum plates expands and contracts base on temperature but not that much more than 1/16" so...u should be fine....I have similar installed at my home and never noticed the plates is even expanding much...
    Thank you,
    Hiren Patel
  • subcooler_65
    subcooler_65 Member Posts: 20
    Why don't you notch the plates around the pipe to get a straighter run?
  • RodHot
    notching, I did not consider that. Not a bad idea, I could even use the hole saw to cut a nice clean "arc" through the area of the plate where the drain hole is.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 5,004
    I think this is going to haunt you.

steve
  • RodHot
    Steve, Yes, agreed this was a concern I had. This is something I addressed in another post...
    https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/181953/route-pex-around-wood-blocking
    The general thought was a "loop" around the wood blocking in such a way that it will not rub or touch. This could be accomplished by using some fastener / mounting method like a Talon.
  • ewang
    ewang Member Posts: 74
    I had some situations similar to yours where the plates couldn't line up.

I decided to cut the plates down and allow for a 12" space between plates. This way if the pex was contracting and expanding, the raw edge of the plate wasn't working against the pex.