Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heatmaker II cycling

JeffZhang
JeffZhang Member Posts: 3
Hi I have a Heatmaker II furnace. It heats the hot water (for household use) and the heating gylcol fine, but cycles itself too frequently - every 10 minutes or so I hear that it stops making the normal working noise and then immediately restarts it.
What could be the problem?
Thanks.
Jeffrey

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Does it show an error code? There are a variety of things it could be. You probably need to have a pro take a look.
    BTW. The heatmakers are not known for longevity. I would plan an upgrade sooner than later.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • JeffZhang
    No error code. Other than that it cycles, things seem to work fine. Yes probably need to start looking for a replacement. The cycling itself will put on some stress on the system I suppose.
    Thanks!
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    Heatmakers were a pretty neat set up when introduced in the mid 1980's
    Mid about 85-86% efficient. Did heat and hot water in a neat package. Hot water output was always pretty darn good. The short cycling issue happens w/ them if a sensor is failing or a relay is bad. Parts are around to replace but are getting harder to find. There are still a fair amount out there but they are starting to dwindle due to the storage tanks leaking or the burner assembly failing. The natural gas versions tended to last longer than the LP gas versions.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Heatmaker was bought by Laars and rebranded as "Endurance"
    I know some of the parts cross over.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • aceboiler
    aceboiler Member Posts: 14
    I would have to see a picture of the boiler to be certain of the unit?.
    I had the PVC pipe break inside the storage tank once.
    This goes from the coil into the bottom of the tank and acts like the dip tube of a water heater pulling cooler water off of the bottom and injecting the hot water into the top. If it is broken then you will recirculate hot water off of the top. They short cycle when this happens.
    You would have to check your operator with a multi meter and a temperature clamp. Might just be a control issue.....flow issue.....
    anticipator issue, ice in the vent issue.
  • JeffZhang
    Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I'll take a picture next time I am there.
  • JZZH
    JZZH Member Posts: 11
    If anyone is still reading this ... I apologize for not following through this thread in time two years ago. I had to put this aside but now I am back at it.
    The model is HW-M2-100LP. The manual https://www.heatmaker.com/v/vspfiles/images/pdfs/HSeriesManual.pdf actually talks about a common reason for short cycling. I just found it this weekend, and I will go check that out, and also check what aceboiler mentioned.
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    I still have too many parts on shelf if you find you need something??? We worked on many of these over the years and my partner got bit carried away ordering parts. Getting close to time to trash them.
    It could be blocked up in the heat exchanger, limiting heat exchanger and cycling prematurely. Not very fun to clean the finned heat x.
  • JZZH
    JZZH Member Posts: 11
    Hi Tim, thanks for mentioning the parts! I was worried about that since people were talking about dwindling supply of parts.
    Are you talking about the heat exchanger in the burner housing? I have not adventured opening it up ... but may give it a try.