Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No need for insulation, just add more radiators

Dennis
Dennis Member Posts: 101
While touring the Golden Mile, a stones throw from The World's End in Edinburg, Scotland I spied these cast iron radiators in a former church, now a museum.

Just do it, right.
kcopp

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    I've seen those... adding insulation to a building that age and construction is a bit problematic... >:)

And, of course, when that building was built, central heating meant that the fire was in the middle of the room!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    That is where you would want to sit in the church.
    Serious EDR for serious tons of masonry to heat up.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    Hi, I’m guessing they didn’t keep it warm all the time, so likely had to heat a cold, stone building quickly. Some pretty serious setback! :o

Yours, Larry
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    edited November 2020
    They don't keep it exactly what we'd call "warm", either, @Larry Weingarten . The building my daughter lived in for a few years -- not far up High Street towards the Castle from this one, in the Lawnmarket -- was heated to a sweltering 50 or so (Fahrenheit). Of course, it had been built around 1500...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England