Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Annoying How Water Radiator Banging Sound

Eligijus
Eligijus Member Posts: 6
Hey,

I have this problem with my bedroom radiator. Whenever I turn on the heating the radiator makes this banging sound for about 20-30min until it fully heats up, then it stops. And when I turn off the heating, same sound starts again for about 20-30min. I have pulled the floorboards and saw that one of the pipes were resting on wood stud. I have put lagging around the pipe however, it did not fix the problem. The radiator has 2 pipes coming in/out. I have open both valves all the way to open position. I have tried bleeding the radiator however as soon as I open the bleeder valve water starts flowing, like there is no air.

You can listen to the banging sound by following this link => https://file.io/mDKBzUsFW20m

Does anyone have any other ideas how to fix it? Its the only radiator in the whole house that is making this sound and my landlord is hesitant in doing anything about it.

Thanks

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Your link does not work.
    How about picture of radiator showing both ends and attachments/fittings.?
    Eligijus
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,689
    how about a picture of the rad?
    and what is "lagging" ?
    in the floor, some plastic milk jug strips to isolate the pipe(s) from the wood,
    same thing where pipes come thru the floor,
    the rad, old style stand up cast iron type ?
    same plastic under the 4 feet,
    or if it's fin tube baseboard, same plastic where the fin tube rests on the support brackets,
    or call the landlord every time you hear the noise.
    known to beat dead horses
    Eligijus
  • Eligijus

Sorry these are the only pictures I have for now. The other side of the radiator behind the bed has the exact same valve as the one you can see. I already checked for the plastic bits, where radiator sits on the bracket and they are there.

When I say "lagging" (I guess UK term) what I mean is I put some insulation foam around the pipe where it was resting on the wood stud. I dont have a pic of it with the insulation (forgot to take it after done).
  • Eligijus
    https://youtu.be/a0z_mON_J_A

I uploaded the audio to youtube I hope it works now.
  • neilc
    The plastic milk jug will allow things to slip, instead of catch and release, with expansion and contraction, heating up and cooling down. Your foam may be more catchy than slippy.
    Definitely where that pipe is resting in that notch in the framing,
    or where the pipes pass thru the floor,
    that rad panel is bolted to the wall? but you see plastic slides on brackets,
    where are you hearing the knocking?
    Eligijus
  • JUGHNE
    To me that sounds like expansion/contraction sounds.
    Klicking and pinging.
    The holes in the floor need to be oversized to allow for movement there.
    The radiator itself may be tightened too much to hangers or the wall. It needs to grow and contract.
    Eligijus
  • neilc
    yeah, something is too tight and not slipping in that rad panel,
    or caught between the pipes thru the floor
    Eligijus
  • Eligijus
    edited November 2020
    neilc said:

The plastic milk jug will allow things to slip, instead of catch and release, with expansion and contraction, heating up and cooling down. Your foam may be more catchy than slippy.
    Definitely where that pipe is resting in that notch in the framing,
    or where the pipes pass thru the floor,
    that rad panel is bolted to the wall? but you see plastic slides on brackets,
    where are you hearing the knocking?

there is two types of sounds that I hear. One is like light knocking/clicking distant sound, maybe pipes under the floor. But there is this one loud bang sometimes that just seems to come right from the radiator.

Yeah the radiator is off the wall a bit so I can see the bracket and the plastic bits, will take a pic tomorrow.
    I dont want to sound stupid, but when you say plastic milk jug strips do you mean, to cut plastic jug into trips and put it in between floorbaords and pipes where they meet? Thanks
    JUGHNE said:

To me that sounds like expansion/contraction sounds.
    Klicking and pinging.
    The holes in the floor need to be oversized to allow for movement there.
    The radiator itself may be tightened too much to hangers or the wall. It needs to grow and contract.

Yeah I feel like the holes in the floor are a bit too small, will try to make it bigger tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Not sure about radiator being too tight on the bracket, because its just hanging on it, there are no bolts. Only the bracket itself if bolted to the wall.
    Maybe I could try to spray some lubricant onto the places where radiator sits on the bracket to allow it to move more freely?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,161
    Yes -- just strips of plastic milk jug. Also, rather than lube on the places where the radiator sits, slip plastic between the radiator and the brackets in there.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Eligijus
  • neilc
    "I dont want to sound stupid, but when you say plastic milk jug strips do you mean, to cut plastic jug into trips and put it in between floorbaords and pipes where they meet?"

Exactly,
    where that pipe is in that notch below the floor,
    where the pipes come thru the floor,
    and if you can add to the plastic bits, in that rad,
    Eligijus
  • Eligijus
    Thanks for suggestions all, will try that and let you know how it goes.
  • Eligijus

Yes -- just strips of plastic milk jug. Also, rather than lube on the places where the radiator sits, slip plastic between the radiator and the brackets in there.

neilc said:

"I dont want to sound stupid, but when you say plastic milk jug strips do you mean, to cut plastic jug into trips and put it in between floorbaords and pipes where they meet?"

Exactly,
    where that pipe is in that notch below the floor,
    where the pipes come thru the floor,
    and if you can add to the plastic bits, in that rad,

Hey, here is some pic of the bracket I took this morning. As you can see the plastic bits are there, however what I noticed is that right side bottom is not sitting properly on the bracket as you can see in the last picture. Could this be causing these sounds? And how to fix it? Could I try slightly lifting up the rad to put it in place?

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    sometimes my '86 chevy would make noises that I could not resolve so I turned up the radio. Worked great back in the day.

Try this new Hi-Tech option

NOISE CANCELLING HEAD PHONES

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • neilc
    I do see a difference between the left end and right end shots, especially the tops, where the rad panel rests on the wall bracket,
    not sure which is the correct fitment,
    do you see a name on that rad panel anywhere?
    again, try slipping plastic in anywhere there is wiggle between the panel and bracket
  • JUGHNE
    edited November 2020
    The rad should have some wiggle room to easily slide.
    Is it hanging on the supports or is one end jacked up a little by the piping?
    If it is binding on the supports then it is trying to move but can't.
    The piping should be almost floating to move left and right.

For example, baseboard heaters are inside a solid steel cabinet, but the element can slide back and forth and the piping is loose in an oversize hole.
    None of this can be seen....but will be heard if the holes are too small not allowing movement in all directions.
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,425
    edited November 2020
    Use a mechanic's stethoscope and try and isolate the sound. Harbor Freight has them or your local auto store.
  • @Eligijus it sounds like the thermostatic radiator valves on the wrong pipe wall. When the valve shuts down, the water is being forced via a shut door which will cause chattering like a small hammer banging.