Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need help with zones

Hi,

we just bought our house and it has a pretty elaborate radiant heating setup through most of the house.  There are two Taco mixing blocks. On one of the mixing block the output goes to three locations, one directly to the living room, one to our bedroom and bath and the third goes to a manifold that controls other rooms. They are clearly labeled so I can see this with certainty.

The second mixing block goes straight to two zones with no manifold.

my issue is this.  The line that goes straight to our bedroom/bath has two thermostats. One in the bedroom and one in the bath. The bath seems to get heat all the time even when the thermostat isn’t calling. The bedroom doesn’t seem to be getting any. The rooms are right next to each other.  

I can’t see any evidence anywhere that the two thermostats control two zones since there is only one line labeled “master” and I’ve identified every other zone in the house.  Does this make sense that they both control the same zone?  One room is tile and the other is carpet so maybe it has to do with the temperature needed in each room? 

I used to think the bath heat was ghost flow but it seems strange that the bedroom isn’t heating too. 

I’m not super mechanical but I am learning the system as much as I can. 

Anyone have any thoughts? 

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    You may have a remote manifolds with zone valves hidden in the Master bedroom somewhere. Is there a panel in a closet or maybe in a crawlspace?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • rattmoy
    rattmoy Member Posts: 5
    thanks. I've searched around and can't find one but that could be it. I did find a electrical line that says "master bedroom manifold backup" so that leads me to believe that you are on to something. Now I just need to find that manifold and see if it's a stuck pin perhaps.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    An infrared camera would make easy work of finding it.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein