Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Protecting floors

cgutha
cgutha Member Posts: 103
I have finally varnished my floors (cedar) and am getting ready to reposition the one pipe radiators. is there something I can place under the radiators to protect the floor?

Comments

• cgutha
    edited November 2020

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,276
    Nicer job -- though I prefer shellac.

Yes, there are any number of things which one can put under the feet of the radiators. There are two objectives -- spread the weight of the object, and allow it to move ever so slightly as it expands and contracts. These range from the somewhat improvised -- such as squares cut from a poly plastic milk bottle -- to rather fancy. Something of this sort might be just the thing: https://www.amazon.com/SoftTouch-4291295N-Furniture-Carpeted-Surfaces/dp/B000PAZ3TS/ref=sr_1_25?crid=1HRCCSXBX0UX2&dchild=1&keywords=floor+guards+for+furniture&qid=1605805510&sprefix=floor+guards+for+fu,aps,466&sr=8-25

A word of caution, however. I presume the varnish to which you refer is polyurethane? If so, you must let it cure completely -- which can take weeks -- before putting anything fabric on it, whether the item I noted above or a rug. Otherwise the object will stick to the polyurethane and mar it. In the interim, after a week or so one can put a hard object -- such as the feet of a radiator -- on it and, so long as one doesn't move it, not get significant marring.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,060
    Looking great, is it getting cold there in ND yet?

I have used the furniture coasters as shown above.
    The good thing is that they nestle together allowing you to get slope for drainage.
  • cgutha
    I used oil base polyurethane: Gymnasium grade. Five coats. It has been drying now for four months, so it should be good. Until last week, I had it covered with construction cardboard.
    I had not thought about movement from expansion. I am wondering about making some wooden coasters.
    thanks
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,632
    I would use wood blocks or maybe high density plastic sheet, like 1/4" to 1/2" thick so it would be slippery and spread the weight out from someplace like mcmaster-carr.